A Pytha-what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

New User
Robert
OK, a Pythagoras Gauge: :confused:
One Time Tool - Pythagoras Gauge

I vaugely remember using the formula A2 + B2 = C2 in high school many many years ago, but I sure missed the month of classes applying this to a tool that would check the squarenees of a box.

Does anyone have something like this they actually use or could use?
Does it work?
(Don't bother with whether you need it, thats not even plausible.)

I guess I need to go back to school, maybe I'd learn stuff this time around, if they would let me back in.......no guarantees here.

Robert

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You really need to stop browsing Woodpecker's web site. They will suck you in with all of the cool tools you didn't know you needed, or the ones you didn't know existed.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Seems to me that functionally its no different than using a speed square with the "meat" cut out of the two short sides.
appears that it does have the advantage of being collapsible which is nice when you're talking about a 40" square.
assuming that the machining is such that it sets into the proper alignment every time.
Guess if you could guarantee that, you could make any old roofing square fold up for storage.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I think an accurate square would be just as affective. The guage looks cool, but I can't see it being very functional.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use 3+4=5 trick when framing. For cabinet boxes, drawers, etc I use 2 pieces of narrow (~1/2-1") scrap a few inches longer than half of the diagonal length. Use a utility knife to make a pointy end and a square end on each. Overlap them and slide the pointy ends into diagonal corners. Mark the location of the top stick's square end on the other stick. Repeat and compare that length to the other diagonal corners. No numbers, no squinting, no misreading a tape/rule, no wondering where that one use tool is, no money involved, doubles as paint stirring stick when finished:wsmile:.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I hate to say this, but I really don't think the Pythagoras gauge is based on the Pythagorean Theorem, nor is it based on a 3-4-5 triangle either!

main1_pythagoras_gauge.jpg

It actually is a neat little gauge for checking to see if an inside corner is square. A bit pricey, but neat!

For those who remember high school geometry- Bueller?, Bueller?, the Pythagorean Theorem defines the length of the sides of a right triangle with this formula a[SUP]2[/SUP] + b[SUP]2[/SUP] = c[SUP]2[/SUP]. I just don't see how this gauge relies on that relationship! That is not to say that somehow there isn't a tie-in to the Pythagorean Theorem.

I contend instead, that it uses more basic relationships of sides and angles of a triangle, specifically:

1. The sum of the interior angles of any triangle equals 180[SUP]o[/SUP]
2. The base angles of an isosceles triangle which by definition has two equal sides, are equal.

Since the middle arm on this gauge is mounted midway between the ends of the long arm and is equal to each half, regardless of the angle, it creates two isosceles triangles between the tips- see drawing below.

If the three tips are touching the corner and sides, and the legs are of equal length, we have created two isosceles triangles whose base angles are equal. Since we know from geometry that the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180[SUP]o[/SUP], then the sum of the interior angles of the large triangle is A + (A+B) + B = 180. If we combine terms we get 2A + 2B = 180[SUP]o[/SUP] When we simplify by dividing each side of the equation by 2, we are left with A + B = 90[SUP]o[/SUP]. I don't think that is the Pythagorean Theorem!

pythag.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I use 3+4=5 trick when framing. For cabinet boxes, drawers, etc I use 2 pieces of narrow (~1/2-1") scrap a few inches longer than half of the diagonal length. Use a utility knife to make a pointy end and a square end on each. Overlap them and slide the pointy ends into diagonal corners. Mark the location of the top stick's square end on the other stick. Repeat and compare that length to the other diagonal corners. No numbers, no squinting, no misreading a tape/rule, no wondering where that one use tool is, no money involved, doubles as paint stirring stick when finished:wsmile:.

I knew it was something plus something equals 5. So, 3 + 4 = 5 ????? Thanks for clarifying that!:gar-La;

Berta

I like most of there tools but they are not sucking me in with this one..... this is getting embarrassing for them just coming up with stuff to come up with stuff

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I like most of there tools but they are not sucking me in with this one..... this is getting embarrassing for them just coming up with stuff to come up with stuff

Actually, I think they have quite a big investment in CNC machinery and labor that is not always actively engaged. These "one-time" products keep folks busy and also test the market without a large investment in upfront $ or excess stock if they don't sell.

Actually, I think they have quite a big investment in CNC machinery and labor that is not always actively engaged. These "one-time" products keep folks busy and also test the market without a large investment in upfront $ or excess stock if they don't sell.

I have a wall of there stuff... I like there stuff but.... I just question the usefulness or it thats all

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The basic operation of the tool is that in any rectangle the diagonals are equidistant. The tool is made so that all 3 leg end points are equidistant from a central pivot and the opposite ends of the long leg are co-linear with the pivot. Think of it as an "X" with one leg cut off. That's all. Easy enough to make with a little effort, 2 pieces of stable wood or metal, a saw and a sander.
Definitely an item for the tool junkie.
Uh, how much did it cost?

pviser

New User
paul
I have to admit that I am a sucker for Woodpecker products, but I have learned to wait about three days after I see one of their new gadgets. During the 72 hours, my unreasonable tool fetish cools enough for me to make a rational decision. In the case of this new gadget, I was able to toss it out in a matter of minutes. By the way, I love their Rule Stop-1 and Rule Stop-2. I have several so that I can have more than one ruler marked for different parts of a project, especially joinery where critical measurements require tolerances of fractions of a millimeter.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The basic operation of the tool is that in any rectangle the diagonals are equidistant. The tool is made so that all 3 leg end points are equidistant from a central pivot and the opposite ends of the long leg are co-linear with the pivot. Think of it as an "X" with one leg cut off. That's all. Easy enough to make with a little effort, 2 pieces of stable wood or metal, a saw and a sander.
Definitely an item for the tool junkie.
Uh, how much did it cost?

That works too. $20 - $60 and $140 for the set of four.

Robert

New User
Robert
OK, now I think I understand.... that it's supposed to work whether I really understand it or not, I don't think I'll try explaining it to anyone.
Thanks for the efforts to explain it.

72 hours to think about it huh, maybe by then the explainations will sink in.

I don't have to visit the website, they send me notices directly, they seem to like me for some reason.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I hate to say this, but I really don't think the Pythagoras gauge is based on the Pythagorean Theorem, nor is it based on a 3-4-5 triangle either!
<snip>

I believe that with some trig one could prove that the Pythagorean Theorem and your analysis are interchangeable.

I agree that this Woodpecker tool doesn't use "3-4-5", but "3-4-5" is just a particular case of the Pythagorean Theorem anyways. People like "3-4-5" because it uses simple integer math.

This tool has some advantages over using a conventional square, but as Dennis (Gotcha6) said, it would be almost trivial to make by oneself. Except the cool red anodized color.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS