A midsummer's gloat..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
..other than the newborn, that is !

Finally "mostly" finished fencing the backyard. Think it looks pretty sharp too:
Fence1_640.jpg

This is the fence to the shop, off the driveway. The fence is 6' tall ornamental steel..my first time working with this. It's a nice clean look and very open feel despite it being jet black.

I'm pretty pleased that I was able to install it all by my lonesome - started in May tho :rolf:.

If you'll excuse my boasting a little bit, it was:
385 running feet of fence
55 post holes, dug by hand with a clamshell digger
58 of 80# bags of concrete moved, mixed and set by hand
4200# of fencing moved by my hand about 3 times

It was quite an adventure...I bought most of the fence materials used off Craigslist. Somebody took down a fence around an apartment building in Maryland and hauled this back to Raleigh. I hauled the fencing back to Fuquay in a U-Haul...during a really hot day in May. Some of you may remember me asking about a welder - since the posts were cut-off short during the removal, I paid a local welder to lengthen these fence posts using square tube I bought at Dillon's in Raleigh. He was very understanding when I accidentally tried to give him zinc poisoning. Oops.

Sourcing materials w/o breaking the bank was a challenge..I needed three 6' gates to get my riding mower through and companies wanted an absolute fortune for pre-made gates (read: $500+ per gate), so I opted for some gate kits I got super-cheap (relatively speaking) from a company in Arkansas. Had to buy some specially post-brackets..those came from CA. My fence has parts from four states - plus wherever they manufacturer Rustoleum paint !

I haven't done a final tally, but figure I have about $3300 into it for everything, including the Makita hammer-drill I had to buy :tool:. I ran replacement quotes in case I needed to adjust my insurance..$14K just for the materials.:swoon:

I'm planning to bend steel for an arch over each gate for a bit of artistic flair and also to stiffen the gate-posts. Still trying to find the right design..a simple curve ? Pergola style ? Incorporate the gates into arbors ? Got any ideas ?

-Mark

T

toolferone

Great story of thrift and lots of sweat. A job well done.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow, you did a great job with that fence. I also like your idea of adding some sort of arch/arbor at the gate entrances. My wife would want to cover them with Clematis vines. That is one heck of a home improvement to take on.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!!!

That is really a great looking fence, Mark.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Really classy looking. The type that one would see around a gated community.

I too don't envy all of the hard work that you put into it but, it sounds like it will be a fine investment in your property!

Nice work!:eusa_clap

Wayne

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
WOW!!!

That is really a great looking fence, Mark.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Really classy looking. The type that one would see around a gated community.

<snip>
Thanks everyone.

I refer to the fenced area as my "child containment area".

I figure the 6' fence will keep my boys contained until 11-12 years of age..then I'll need to add concertina wire and guard towers - I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist for those.

-Mark

timf67

New User
Tim
Thanks everyone.

I refer to the fenced area as my "child containment area".

I figure the 6' fence will keep my boys contained until 11-12 years of age..then I'll need to add concertina wire and guard towers - I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist for those.

-Mark

Nice work! but you may need the upgrades before 11-12 years of age... My 3.5 year old is already pretty good at going places I don't want him to go! :eek:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great looking fence, Mark :icon_thum
When your children jump over this one, they are definitely ready to leave the nest :mrgreen:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS