A member has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmerrill

New User
Tim
To all:

My wife and I just got home from the visitation and the flower arrangement sent by NC Woodworker was absolutely beautiful. I am sure they are very appreciated.

Randy touched us all, he was a one-in-a-million and will be missed by all.

And I think it needs to be said that those of you who found it in your hearts to contribute recently to the 'Randy Project' should know that you helped make Randy's last weeks significantly better as he knew his wife and family would be comfortable as they begin the healing process and face the challenges ahead.

Tim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Go in peace Randy. Thank you for the guidance you gave me during our short acquaintance. Glad you are now without pain.

Go

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Losing another good person sucks, there aren't enough of them. Hearing that a man was taken so young, that is an even greater tragedy. I am truly saddened by this news.

I've never met the man nor do I remember reading any of his posts. However, I know with surety that he will live on at this site, for once the internet's long memory has a useful purpose.

I hope Randy's family is completely aware of how well he was regarded, I hope that fact is made very clear to them. Apparently Randy was able to earn that most valuable of treasures - the respect of friends, colleagues and acquaintances. We all can learn from such a man, leaving a good report should be the goal of us all. The Master Carpenter has surely heard of Randy's reputation and we can expect Him to welcome Randy with open arms.

I join those already praying for the family; I pray for the healing of their sorrow and for their ability to continue life's arduous journey in his absence.

Dean

cskipper

Cathy
Dean, he was respected and loved enough by the membership as a whole that the members of the western NCWWer's group went to his home while he and family were away and finish remodeling projects they knew he was worried about not being well enough to complete. Through the generosity of the members who performed the labor, and those that contributed to the supplies for the construction, Randy was able to be cared for at home and he knew that he didn't leave his major projects undone. I know that had to be a huge weight off his mind and my hat is off to all who contributed through money and/or labor for this project.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Wow,

That is nothing short of incredible. There are great people here at ncwoodworker.net, I am humbled by their compassion and comraderie. Their example is worthy of praise and imitation. Thank you for sharing that with me, I am less troubled by the news this thread announces.

Dean

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
North Carolina woodworking, and woodworkers have lost a good friend. Randy leaves behind a legacy that is not easily matched.
Rest in peace Randy~

nelsone

New User
Ed
Randy always had a kind word and was always willing to help. Although I wish I could have known him better, I am proud to have considered him a friend. I will miss him here and at the MWTCA events.

M

McRabbet

I know I have been conspicuous by my absence for the past four days since hearing the very sad news of Randy's passing early Thursday morning. I was en route with some golfing friends to a 4-day golf trip planned and paid for since January and it turned out that I did not have a computer connection in Santee, SC where we stayed. I got back less than an hour ago and sadly missed the service held in tribute to Randy at his church in Clyde (my wife went in my stead).

Randy was a true friend and an amazing woodworker. He designed and built beautiful pieces of furniture and won First in Show awards in local and state competitions. As a long-term member here and a fellow co-founder of the Western NC Woodworkers Association, Randy was always willing to pass along his expertise in any area of woodworking, but he was especially ready to questions on the topic of proper hand tool use (planes, chisels and saws and their care). He was an avid collector of hand planes and a long-time member of the Mid-West Tool Collectors Association -- Randy, his close friend Mike Bostic and I attended the National M-WTCA Meeting in Chattanooga a few years ago and he displayed planes at numerous regional M-WTCA meetings in the Carolinas and Georgia over the years. He gave the first talk of our fledgling WNCWA back in May 2006 on some of his planes and always was one of the very first to pitch in to offer another topic and help the group grow to the nearly 70 members we have today.

WNCWW5-06-1.JPG

View image in gallery

When Randy's brain cancer returned in recent months, there was little question when a call for help came to complete a full home makeover for Randy and Amy. As already reported, members of WNCWA and fellow woodworkers here joined forces with a group of Randy's professional colleagues to raise a substantial amount of money and added both contributed materials, labor and sweat equity to complete a miraculous beautification of the Osborne's home in Clyde.

We will be doing more to help since Amy faces mounting challenges along with her crushing loss of her fine husband. In a few days, we will be placing many of Randy's modern power tools from his shop on the market and trust fellow woodworkers will help raise needed funds for Amy. A few WNCWA members (also members here) will complete a custom Walnut cabinet in the next few weeks that Randy designed to house his unique and complete collection of H.C. Marsh Planes with the goal of displaying this favorite set of classic planes at the July M-WTCA meeting in Raleigh.

Right now, Randy is working hard in his new shop in a better place and will continue to produce joy in the memories of all who crossed his path or shared a conversation with him. He'll be missed for sure, but never forgotten.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Randy was truly one of the finest people I've met through NCWWer and MWTCA.
I miss you old friend and I'm not afraid to say I'm shedding a tear or two thinking of you.

Roger

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I never had the chance to meet Randy, but I am glad I got the chance to be part of Randy's Project.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
God must have needed another gifted woodworker and Randy answered the call, as he did so many times here on Earth.

Rest in peace, Randy, rest in peace. Jim

SSuther

New User
Stan
So sorry to hear of Randy's passing. I talked to him at a couple of our MWTCA meetings, and he seemed to be an extraordinary person. From everything I've seen about him, I think he achieved something that we all can hold as a high standard in life- he mattered- to very many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS