A longboard with my 9 year old son

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
The deal was that I would help him make the board but he had to come up with the design and save up for the trucks/wheels. Money burns a hole in his pocket so it took him more than 6 months to save 40$ :).

He doesn't weigh much so we just used solid stock. The wood is walnut and maple. I used Maloof 1/3rds mixture for finish and applied spar urethane over the top. If/when we make another we will try to make our own ply and use a vacuum press to give the board some more shape.

DSC_9378.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC_9379.JPG

View image in gallery

It is almost as tall as him!

Thanks for reading!
Salem

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Good looking board as well as a great looking kid! I remember making a "skateboard" when I was about the age of your son, but I used a piece of 2x4 and the wheels were the front/back half's of a roller skate.

Thanks for sharing,
Donn

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great job Salem. Not just on the board, but on a project w/ your son. :icon_thum

I remember making a "skateboard" when I was about the age of your son, but I used a piece of 2x4 and the wheels were the front/back half's of a roller skate.
Donn

Donn, I remember making that same board when I was a teenager. I probably still have a few scars to prove it. :rotflm:

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good job getting your son into the shop and making something to do outdoors, too many like to sit in the cool house all summer.

Yep, I made the 2x4+worn out skate+couple nails - board when I was seven. Never did learn to stand up on it. Would ride it sitting down and riding the big hill down to the park. Back then not too many cars in the projects so all the kids played in the streets.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
the time together, memories for more than a lifetime. He will tell his son. Be sure to save the pictures for your grandson. Sounds like you are teaching some good life lessons.
James

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Tom. I think it would be more functional if it didn't get quite so narrow before the back trucks. But my son drew the shape and I only smoothed the edges when I cut it out.
Salem

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Looks very cool, but best of all is how it came to be...not many kids have a board that they helped design and that was built by their father!

fergy

New User
Fergy
Very nice! That's on my list of things to do as well...but luckily my twins are just turning 6 in September, so I have a while to wait.

FWIW, veneersupplies.com had skateboard veneer kits in the past, but it appears they are gone now. Not sure what happened there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors