A lesson learned..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I have been struggling with the simplest of things lately, I was having trouble finishing some of the last set of the infamous coasters! As you know I have been raving about the Ceramithane WB finish and how good it is etc. Well on these coasters I was having rubbing out the finish without rubbing through the finish! I tried so many things and was getting realyy frustrated, however I thought through what was different this time and I am sure it was the fact that I did not use the hydrocoat pre-sealer that I have used on everything before -

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1243

For these coasters I ran out of the sealer so went straight for the finish. It seems that by doing this, the water in the finish warped the wood slightly and so is not flat. When I put a straight edge across the top I found approx 10thou dip in the middle and obviously the opposite on the back. So by rubbing with a sanding block I was always stopping before the finish in the middle was rubbed out because I was rubbing through at the edges. Long story short - Always use a pre-sealer with WB finish even if you pre-wet and sand to get rid of the raised grain.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I hadn't thought about it, but that is a good point to note especially with something small and thin like your coasters.

DavidF

New User
David
It had happened to me once before, but slightly differently. I was making a mitred cornered frame for a raised panel and wanted to pre-finish the surround before assembly to get a good finish in the reveal I had left around the panel. I made the mitres a "gas tight" fit before finishing. After finishing they were "off" to say the least - another lesson learned and forgotton:BangHead:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
So is the Hydrocote not water based? I have thought about this some more as well. When you did the originals did you finish both sides at the same time or were you doing one side at a time on the coasters which caused it?

cskipper

Cathy
You don't know how great your timing was - I had planned on finishing several of my trivets this evening. I would also like to know if you finish both sides at the same time?

DavidF

New User
David
Yes I did Cathy, sort of expecting problems if I didn't, but as it turned out, without the sealer on first I was doomed from the beginning! These coasters are just less than 1/4 inch thick so curl very easily even though they are QS.

DavidF

New User
David
Travis - The hydrocoat appears to have the characteristics of a WB finish; I.E water clean up, but does not raise the grain. You apply a wet layer and wipe off with a rag; not sure exactely what it consists of. On all the previous coasters (20+) when using the sealer I have not had a problem even when using FS Maple. Having said that; I had a heart attack when, after sticking the cork on the back with "ACE" brand all purpose adhesive which may also contain water; the coasters curled!!!! but straightened back out again when the glue hardened. Who would have thought that such a simple project could teach us so much humility!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS