A few small things and a Pizza Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Finally got around to taking a few picture of what I have been doing for last few weeks. The Pizza Peel (maple and Cherry with mineral oil finish) is for my SIL who is a great cook by trade but this is for the house. I get the first piece when he brakes it in.:gar-Bi
The small turnings are all from scraps. Mostly leftovers (Cutouts) from bandsaw box drawers. The Christmas ornaments are my first try at something practical.
Sorry for the picture quality.
Thanks for looking.

Pizza_Peal_2.jpg

100_1312.jpg

100_1313.jpg

Turning_vase_dish_and_bowls.jpg

Cutting_Board_A.jpg

Sorry I forget the cutting board. Made from scraps glued up and turned to endgrain for final glueup. 494 pieces.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Pretty good looking projects. I especially like the cutting board, all 494 pieces:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like the first 420 pieces or so of the cutting board. The remaining 74 are a touch gaudy :rolf: Seriously, everyone of those pieces came out great! I especially like the pizza peel, although I'd cringe every time it went into the oven.... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Norm,

Those are some VERY nice projects! :notworthy: I like the turnings a lot, but the cutting board and pizza peel are amazing. :icon_thum Very nice work!

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nice work ...I really like the ornaments and cutting board :eusa_clap

Is there a particular reason for turning all the pieces to end grain ? It looks really kewl but seems like it would be a lot of work to get a nice finish like you have on this one :icon_scra

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is there a particular reason for turning all the pieces to end grain ?

End grain cutting boards are more durable and better for the knife edge. If you picture a broom, that is similar to how wood fibers are oriented. If you were to take a knife and cut into the end of a broom, the fibers would just part and not get cut. If you were to cut into the side of the broom, there is a good chance that you would cut the fibers and end up with a shorter broom.
That is a gross illustration, and it works a lot better with visual aids, but hopefully you get the idea.

Now I am not saying that anyone who has made a face or side grain cutting board is going to have durability issues, they will hold up great for a very long time. Traditionally chopping blocks have always had end-grain orientation, because chopping is much more aggressive than cutting or slicing.

Dave:)

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Thanks for the kind words.

Robert

These are scrap pieces from cutouts of drawers from bandsaw boxes so I tried to position them to get the most out of the piece. And it usually ends up end grain. Yes it is harder to get a nice finish, especially with walnut, but I’m still a beginner turner and this also is good practice.

As for the cutting board I always heard an end grain cutting boards could take more punishment then a flat grain boards, something to do with slicing a dicing the end of a straw broom.

Dave types much faster then I do and beat me to it. Thanks, Dave for a better explanation.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Norm!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

You sure have a variance of woodworking skills showing up with those projects! Round and/or flat, they all are great in my book!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Well Done!

Wayne

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great looking work!! Especially like the gazillion piece cutting board!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Did you use the cutting board to peel the pizza? Never saw a raw one as I always get mine cooked. But, beings it has a peel, that must mean its a fruit, which means its healthy to eat. HOORAY!! I need to go order some Health Food!! :rolf:

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS