A dresser-cupboard and a sewing console

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
This will be my first project posting on NCWN. The dresser-cupboard was an adaptation of the baby changing table and dresser shown in "The Complete Table Saw Book", and was my first major table-saw project. It was done about a year and a half ago. The material is Oak ply with solid Oak face frame and top trim.

dresser-cupboard-dscf0501.jpg

The next item is a sewing machine console which I built last fall, to replace one I made about 10 years ago from Melamine recyled from a discarded desk, which finally got broken during our last household move. The top is 3/4 inch Birch ply, with solid Oak edging and Oak support aprons. I expect to core-box the top somewhere along the line. The legs are SPF, and are recycled from a previous project.

Sew-table-dscf0496.jpg

I have but a few projects to date, and don't do woodworking as often as some posters, and I'm wondering if there are a few folks here who don't frequent woodnet; I'd post some of my other projects if there's folks here who are not likely to have seen them already.

Regards, Johnpipe

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, very nice work. Did you edge band the doors/drawer fronts on the dresser-cupboard? I like the sewing table, but I can't let my wife see it...that has been on my honey-do list for a while :eusa_doh: What do you mean by "core-box" the top?
Dave:)

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
A core-box is something I read about on woodnet; it's a hollow-box construction used typically for table tops. A series of ribs placed crossways on the underside of the top, then a "skin" of sheet goods (in this case I'll use 3/4" square ribs and a piece of leftover 1/2" MDF) glued on the bottom. This will give the top more weight and rigidity and a little dampening of machine vibration. This will give me a top thickness (will be done only within the inner surface between the oak aprons, that is between the legs) of about 2-1/4".

And yes, the drawer fronts and door are banded with iron-on oak edging (also the top edges of the internal drawer frames).

Thanks, John

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

None of us gets to do woodworking as often as we would like to... but when you do, the work is really beautiful. I like both of those pieces. What kind of a finish did you pout on these?

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A core-box is something I read about on woodnet; it's a hollow-box construction used typically for table tops. A series of ribs placed crossways on the underside of the top, then a "skin" of sheet goods (in this case I'll use 3/4" square ribs and a piece of leftover 1/2" MDF) glued on the bottom. This will give the top more weight and rigidity and a little dampening of machine vibration. This will give me a top thickness (will be done only within the inner surface between the oak aprons, that is between the legs) of about 2-1/4".

And yes, the drawer fronts and door are banded with iron-on oak edging (also the top edges of the internal drawer frames).

Thanks, John

Ah, a torsion-box. I was thinking of something with a router and a core-box bit :5dunce: :5dunce:

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
John,

None of us gets to do woodworking as often as we would like to... but when you do, the work is really beautiful. I like both of those pieces. What kind of a finish did you pout on these?

Ray

I used Minwax Wipe-On Poly, clear satin. I was attracted to it by the statements on the can front: "Great for Furniture, ..." "Easy to Apply" and "Fast Drying". After reading the back of the can, it sounded like something I could use without prior knowledge and experience of wood finishing, and worked well with the textured oak ply.

John

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Ah, a torsion-box. I was thinking of something with a router and a core-box bit :5dunce: :5dunce:

My memory isn't real perfect, and It sounds like I could be using the wrong terminology word; without going back and searching, I don't know for sure which term was actually used wherever I read it, and I not infrequently get new terminology confused. :eusa_thin

But even if I can't keep the terminology straight, at least I have learned of this technique which can come in handy on some tabletop projects. :icon_thum

John

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like both the dresser-cupboard and the sewing console. The color and lines of the pieces complement each other nicely! :icon_thum

And, yes, we love project pics! :)

Chjuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors