A Big Hello from over in Fayetteville!

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
What a great site!

I'm Mike Lemings, and I work up on Fort Bragg providing telephone service to the military community (Lucent 5ESS Switches, hence the username 5Etek-mike).

I really enjoy all types of refinishing techniques for older furniture, and different home improvement projects. I really look forward to particiapting in the different forums you have.

Congratulations to all of you for having such a nice, welcoming site!

"5E" :eek:ccasion1

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Mike,

It is good to have you here. This is the friendliest site on the net. Feel free to jump in at any time. We would love to see some pictures of your work. Again, Welcome!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Mike!
Glad you joined and better yet, introduced yourself :icon_thum
Now all you need is to post and show us pictures of your projects :mrgreen:

Enjoy,
Roger

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike. Please post LOTS of pictures of your work. We have few members in similar professions here. (not me). :gar-Bi

Doug

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Mike, welcome to NCWW! I think most of us could use help with (re)finishing furniture, I look forward to your input.

Oh, and pictures of course :)

Rob

New User
Rob
Welcome Mike, I too work on Bragg, but live in Sanford. You'll love this sight. Beware the dark side.

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Thank you everyone for all the welcoming responses!! I'm still realizing just how enormous this site is, and trying to fathom that it's primarily for those of us here in the Old North State!!
:eek:ccasion1

My current projects are kinda stuck in a temporary holding pattern, due to my working outside under my carport and the city construction crews are having fun tearing up my street (You guys talks about dirt and dust! :BangHead:). I have the huge armiore about 1/3 stripped and sanded with plenty of hard work ahead of me, but you all should see the bare wood! This is gonna be NICE!! Yes, it was someone else's learning experience (they applied "something" over "something else", and the two definately didn't play well together. I've also got an antique German Schrunk begging me to refinish it to match my Golden Oak dining room table & chairs. It's so worth all the hard work once it's all completed!

If there's ever anything anyone needs help with from this neck of the Sandhills, I'll be happy to help out anyway I can.

Thank you all again for all the nice responses!!:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Mike, I am glad you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some of your work. I'll probably be pickin' your brain soon enough, I seem to do a lot of re-finishing, but not on antiques, but pieces I just made :BangHead::BangHead:
See you around!!

Dave:)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey there Mike, and welcome to the site.
I to live in this here town. Well really I am kind of in the country, but close enough.
Look forward to meeting you and your input.
Oh there is a Lunch for the Fayetteville area folks on Wednesday I believe. If you can come on and join us.
I don't do much refinshing, I like to build stuff, but at the end you always have to finish. lol
I'm usually always in the shop, stop on by if you get a chance.

MAC

bitbight

New User
Ray
Welcome Mike from another local. Worked on Fort Bragg myself for many years, only in a military sort of way. I am [STRIKE]retarded[/STRIKE] retired now so I get to [STRIKE]work[/STRIKE] play with other tools. Check out the time of the get together lunch for this area of the woods and meet some of the guys.

Ray

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Hello Mike and welcome to the sawdust pile. Get ready for some great fun on the site. Just remember to stay away from the dark side and be careful of the Wood Guy disease as most of us have it and once you get it no cure has been found. Some of us have it so bad we try and hide it from the little woman. But the LOML has me pegged now so I gave it to her so she would leave me alone.
I just retired from the Fire Department at Bragg in February 2008. Enjoying that retirement. Hope we can get to see you and will enjopy some Pic's when you can get the city off your street. Again Welcome to the sawdust pile.
Terry:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_chee

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Mike,

Here's one more welcome. I'm glad you decided to join the NCWW site. I'd love to see some photos of your work. It's great to meet another woodworker who understands finishes (weak spot for me). What will you use the schrunk for after you refinish it?

Ray

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Thank you all again for all the nice welcomes.

Ray, Although I haven't started on the shrunk yet, I'll post a "before" picture of it in my member gallery early this evening. It's not very large, but it's in very good condition, with the exception that the original finish is faded and old. I plan to keep in in my dining room, with hopes of making it match as closely as possible to the Golden Oak tone of my dining room table. Since I'm leaning towards not using any urithane when refinishing it like I applied to the table, I'm concerned if I'll be able find a varnish, or other finish that will closely match. It will be tricky. I've still got quite a ways to go on the large armoire I'm currently working on. The street in front of my house is now paved, so it's back under the carport I go to get back to work!

By the way, I'm no expert at all. I don't even have a shop; just a carport, a makeshift work bench, a handful of tools, and a huge passion for bringing quality work back to life! :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Mike - let me add another welcome! We love pictures - not just of the finished products, but the process. Oh, and don't worry a bit about WG disease or the dark side (apoken like one would say-- "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain").

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mike: Welcome from one of the Old Hillbilly's on here. We can always use someone who knows anything about refinishing/finishing. It's my least favorite part of any project, probly cause I don't know much about it!

Jump in anytime with advice and pictures. You're gonna like it here!

:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS