A better vise????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Improve your life with the "MagiVise" by DavidF:lol:

A little something I have been working on. I wish I had done it years ago!!

If I ever need the whole bench top, the parts just pull off. The "anti-Racking Screw you see in the back ground works SO WELL! Just make contact with the piece being clamped and then bring the anti-rack screw thread just up to touch the bench then finish clamping - solid as a rock.

Only limits are the floor and the length of the bench!! I will be adding some other vise ends like "V" blocks or cork covered ones. These will just "plug" into a central hole in the existing ends.


http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=464

Thanks for looking.
 
Last edited:

Steve D

Member
Steve DeWeese
with an anti-racking feature, will you still be able to use it as a beer holder while cracking walnuts?
 

DavidF

New User
David
Steve D said:
with an anti-racking feature, will you still be able to use it as a beer holder while cracking walnuts?
Yes, I thought of that! just put the walnut between the anti racking screw and the bench - easy
 

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice job on the vice David.:icon_thum I really like the full length bench dog system you developed.

D L
 

sapwood

Roger
Corporate Member
Zounds! That's effective and impressive :eusa_clap

Hopefully Carol will be returning shortly. This burst of productivity is scary 8-O

Thanks for showing us what can be done with a little ingenuity :mrgreen:

Sapwood
 

DavidF

New User
David
sapwood said:
Zounds! That's effective and impressive :eusa_clap

Hopefully Carol will be returning shortly. This burst of productivity is scary 8-O

Thanks for showing us what can be done with a little ingenuity :mrgreen:

Sapwood
I have two weeks left of un-alduterated woodyness.

This was prompted by the fact that I hate all of the wood working vises I have ever come across excepting the twin screw Veritas, and I can't afford that one! The bench came with a full set of parallel dog holes so that was no problem. I used 3/4 bolts as the "Dowels" to hold the new parts in place.

The assy table moved by power this w/e too - only 9" until my new leadscrew gets here this week, but a start!
 

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for the additional pix David. I could tell how the non-movable dog portion mounted in existing dog holes but I didn't realize the movable portion mounted in the dog holes of your vice. If I understand this correctly both pieces can be added on or taken off in a matter of seconds. Very nice concept. You may want to apply for a patent on your design or at least submit it to few of the WW mags under the shop tip section.

D L
 
Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
D L Ames said:
Thanks for the additional pix David. I could tell how the non-movable dog portion mounted in existing dog holes but I didn't realize the movable portion mounted in the dog holes of your vice. If I understand this correctly both pieces can be added on or taken off in a matter of seconds. Very nice concept. You may want to apply for a patent on your design or at least submit it to few of the WW mags under the shop tip section.

D L
You have it exactly. I am so impressed with it my self I might just do that!! Nice when a design come together.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am behind on reading posts, but this is really sweet. I take it you are splitting your time between the assembly table and finishing this vise.
 

DavidF

New User
David
Travis Porter said:
I am behind on reading posts, but this is really sweet. I take it you are splitting your time between the assembly table and finishing this vise.
Vise is all done except that I want to make some add on/plug in jaws that would be "V" shaped for round parts and a set of flat jaws with cork lining for those times when I need to hold something a little more dlicate. The beauty of the anti racking screw is that very little pressure is required to hold parts because the vise jaws contact evenly.

Assy table is also just about done - tonight adding the hardboard top.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top