7mm Mandrel, 10mm kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
I ordered a pen kit that said could be turned on a 7mm mandrel but I don't see how that will work. The bit for the kit is 10mm. Am I missing something, will it work?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You'll need to buy a set of adapter bushings that match the pen kit. They will slide onto the 7mm mandrel and step it up to the right size. Every pen kit has a matched bushing set.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
You'll need to buy a set of adapter bushings that match the pen kit. They will slide onto the 7mm mandrel and step it up to the right size. Every pen kit has a matched bushing set.

I figured it had to be something simple, I bought the bushings they recommended but have not taken them out to look at them, I just assumed they had the same opening as the drill size.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
TIP: Put a coat of light wax on the bushings if you plan to CA finish the pens. This will help keep them from sticking to the pen blanks.
TIP: Soak the bushing in Acetone after you use them (if using CA finish). This will clean them up nicely.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Ken you'll learn and pay lol
Be careful as there are 2 mandrel sizes - a and b. the bushings are not interchangeable beween the 2. You can get bushings for most pens for either.
Or you can make your own bushings from wood/delrin/ etc, turn without the mandrel, and who knows what else.
Word of caution and especially when new - use the bushings as a guide only. measure fit with a caliper (HF has a digital for well under $20 and an analog for under $2). Don't sand or turn your bushings away... If you have a really nice wood and it turns/gets a silver or black that is hard to come off - you'll see another reason besides just saving your bushings.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ken,

I would put the bushings on the mandrel first, just to make sure they don't fit. I bought a kit that needed 8mm bushings and I have a 7mm mandrel, but they actually ended up being the type of bushings that fit on a 7mm mandrel and also fit into the 8mm brass tubes. This might have been what Jeremy was talking about, but I'd check just to make sure before you spend anymore money. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors