5" (about) Clear pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

williams130

New User
Craig
My daughter is making a model of a DNA molecule for a science project and we would like to make a display by hanging it inside of a clear pipe. The model is about 4.5" wide and about 3' long and about 0.5" deep. Our idea is if we can find a clear pipe then I can drill some holes at strategic locations and make the model spiral down the length of the pipe. If anyone knows where I can pick up some clear pipe about 5" diameter please reply.

williams130

New User
Craig
Thanks Wayne,

I thought it would be expensive but $36/foot! Whew, maybe we'll use a lot of soda bottles or just mount it on a 2x6.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:swoon::swoon:

I am sooooo sorry, Craig!!!

I read that as $36 for a 10" section!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I too would be lookin' for some alternative plans.

My apologies!

Wayne

T

tmwassack

Greetings from Asheboro!
You may want to check Piedmont Plastics in Raleigh (http://www.piedmontplastics.com/default.asp). I purchased 3 inch clear acrylic tube a couple of years ago to make several gazebo type bird feeders. Sorry, I don't remember the cost at that time.

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Last edited by a moderator:

williams130

New User
Craig
Hi Tom,

Great tip! I went to their web site and found that they have an overstock website. It looks like they a size that will do so I emailed them and am waiting for a reply tomorrow. How did you purchase the tube for the bird feeder? Did you have to have a comercial account or something? Will they sell retail?

fergy

New User
Fergy
Piedmont will sell retail, but they are kind of a PIA to deal with sometimes.

You can also get it through McMaster Carr if you're in a hurry. They list it under hollow rod.

www.freckleface.com is another good source, especially for large diameters. I buy my 8", 10" and 12" through them. You'll be stuck with 30" and 60" lengths, though.

Let me know if you have troubles, and I might be able to help you out more.

williams130

New User
Craig
Thank you everyone for your replies and tips. My daughter turned in her project today (Friday). We decided to not use the clear tube because of the expense. In the end we used a wooden base and top, each 5"x7", with routed edges and four 3/16" dowels as corner posts. We then painted all the wood flat black. We hung the DNA molecule model with 2 eye hooks from the top and used 2 more eye hooks to secure the bottom. Overall it was about 30" tall and looked great with the blue, yellow, green, and red for the parts of the DNA model. I'll post a picture when she gets it back from school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS