5/8" brass rod for plane adjusting hammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Any recommendations of where to buy some 5/8" brass rod in the Apex/Raleigh/Durham area? I would like to make plane adjusting hammer for the wood plane(s) I am finishing up.

Thanks!
Salem

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
If you find a local source, and have to buy more than you need, I'd be happy to go in on it with you.

Jim

CatButler

New User
Bryan
+2 on the brass. I ended up going with a interchangeable head hammer with brass on one side and ABS plastic on the other. Could be a bit beefier.

Hope to check it out when I stop by. I think I have seen 3/8" at Ace HW.

I'm working on a Steve Knight scrub plane kit, the way it looks now reminds be too much of a laundry detergent bottle, but I'm getting insights to make my own Krenov style.

DaveD

New User
Dave
www.speedymetals.com or ebay. I think speedy metals is even a ebay vendor.

You can also buy it the exact length you need from speedy metals if you don't want a piece in multiples of 1'. Costs a little more though. 93 cents per inch for the 5/8"

eyekode

New User
Salem
Dave,
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a local place so I could avoid shipping. Maybe I should head off to the yellow pages :).
Salem

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Harbor Freight?
http://www.harborfreight.com/watchmakers-hammer-with-6-heads-99895.html
image_4343.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
In the time it would have taken me to drive to HF I made this:

The handle is walnut and the head is Brazilian cherry. Honestly I don't much care for it yet. But my 2 year old loves it so maybe this mallet is for him :). The head is too light (although this is the densest wood I had on hand). So eventually I think I will drive out to HF for that 5/8" brass.

Thanks for the offer Jack but after playing with this mallet I think I really want the mass that 5/8" will give.

I could be off base here. This is my first wood plane. Maybe mine takes too big of a whack to adjust?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bill Anderson teaches plane making, including the hammers for adjusting them. He is located close to Chapel Hill. Look in user announcements for his info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors