$325 per sheet bamboo plywood...Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Searched far and wide and the cheapest I can get 2 sheets of 3/4 Bamboo Plywood is $650.
Wurth no longer stocks anywhere and their pricing and shipping is the "We really don't want to sell it" range.
The price above is from CaliBamboo and I even hear some grumblings about it.
Jackson International was also a no deal.

Anybody have any last suggestions before I throw in the towel?

95vette

New User
Jim
Hello, Have you tried World Panel Products in Windsor, NC 252-794-9944 they show it on their website but no prices. They are part of a company out of Florida that supply products to the boat builders on the Outer Banks. Jim

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Atlantic ply carries it, $247 a sheet, or $80 for a 4x8 sheet of veneer. I would veneer my own at that cost

jbrphil

New User
JP
There! 80 dollars for sheet of veneer then add 80 dollars of birch plywood at Lowes then glue on it...160 dollars! way cheap! unless you dont care about plywood then 35 dollars for plywood plus 80 dollars for veneer which comes to 115 dollars! way cheap than 247 or 325!

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
One of the cool things tho that I've seen with bamboo ply is how the edges look. Unlike ply where I try and edgeband it, bamboo ply looks really good

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Thanks for the leads and I'm pursuing them.

I'm mainly interested in the 3/4" 3-ply instead of the veneer because I plan to highlight the eye-candy edges like this....

bamboo_edge.jpg

BTW, in searching for a photo of the above I stumbled upon this guy doing a dining room table and benches that highlight the bamboo edging.
Unfortunately he had the advantage of a waterjet and hydraulic press.
Kinda like Arts & Crafts meets Greene&Greene meets Bamboo.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bamboo-Dining-Table-and-Benches/?ALLSTEPS

bamboo_bench2.jpg

ncguy77

New User
Jim
World Panel Products has 3/4 Bamboo in stock. $230.00 per sheet. Phone # is 1 252 794 9944

I've looked 3 times at that site (along with a specific google crawl thru it) and I still cannot see a page mentioning 3/4 bamboo plywood.

So I'm going to go old school and pick up the phone. If it's $230 without a shipping surcharge that will definitely be the "low cost" source.

I was just about ready to move to another solution but my wife countered that even this high cost solution is a fraction of what we would have paid for standalone furniture of anything close in comparable quality. Well OhhhhhhKay, bamboo it is.

Thanks for the help.

The Durham store has some versions in stock(not the one I want) but they add a hefty shipping surcharge on those stock sheets as well as anything they order..

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Somebody is making LOTS of profit and it also carries the stupid "green" cachet.
Oh well, when the project gets done hopefully I'll post some pics about why I think this was a good match for the space.

Cbozz

Chris
User
The trouble is the good, hard bamboo only grows in SE Asia. And there's a fair amount of precise work in splitting the tubes into strands and arranging them into sheets. So when you count in the embodied energy of producing and shipping the stuff across an ocean, it's not exactly as green as most would like.

The markup is pretty high as well, but it's a similar percentage to other high end sheetgoods as I understand it.

If enough people wanted some I bet you could get a decent deal if you called the distributor (Miami, I think) and tried to order a whole pressload.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS