$325 per sheet bamboo plywood...Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I don't know if using bamboo flooring as "lumber" would be an option for you. I looked into it and think I read bamboo is very hard on tools due to high silica content.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Atlantic Plywood Richmond = Teragreen = $282
Worldpanel in Windsor = no name chinese brand $250
Common Ground Durham =Plyboo = $245ea + 190 ship for qty 2

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I believe the reason the bamboo flooring would be hard on tools is the silica in the finish.
The coating on prefinished flooring is designed to be tough and durable- hence the problem.
We got prefinished oak when we did the floors in this house and the flooring guy made a big selling point out of this but warned it could present problems if we ever wanted/ needed to refinish them.
the bamboo itself shouldn't present an issue.

Cbozz

Chris
User
The only trouble I've ever had with bamboo is that it likes to splinter. So it's not that it dulls blades like ipe or anything, it's just less forgiving of dull-ish blades. Sharp blades and the usual tricks for preventing tear-out and you should be fine.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've had some second hand experience with Plyboo
- designed components that were manufactured from it.
Never heard of any issues regarding workability.
Cost and availability were mentioned by the producers.

This goes back several years and as I recall the shop in DE was getting the material out of NYC.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Ended up with an order directly to the Southeast distributor of Plyboo.
Very helpful salesman since there were a lot of unknowns on my part with product packaging and shipping options.

$199 each for 2 sheets
$155 shipping palletized/shrink wrapped/closed freighter shipped to local Estes terminal ($215 to a residence)

Company Name: Alterna Corp

Address: 9800 NW 17th Street

Miami, FL 33172
United States

Email: mark.gunia@alternacorp.com

Phone: (866) 683-9450

Last edited:

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Arrived in 2 days from NJ ....each sheet heavy plastic bagged...on a big pallet.....Plyboo sandwiched by 1/2" OSB on top/bottom...heavy cardboard edge guarded and shrink wrapped.

Cbozz

Chris
User
wow, nice. I would not have thought the distributor would sell by the sheet. I was amazed when I first read the post - I read it as 199 for both, not 199 each. Was a bit shocked until I read it a second time.

I was briefly planning the sleak bamboo kitchen I could put together at that price.

Congrats, regardless.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A buddy of mine has started a bamboo farm in South Carolina. Since the good stuff is from Asia, I wonder what the market is for domestic bamboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS