3" hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might have a project that calls for a pair of 3" holes being drilled. I said might as this is a small custom piece and I have not yet committed to doing it. The stock being drilled will be 3/4" hardwood. I would hate to buy a hole saw or forstner bit for one time use. Anyone in my area or the triangle have one I can borrow if I need it?

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Have you thought about using a router with a circle cutting jig? I have used this method for larger holes, but it may be fine for a 3 inch hole.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Have you thought about using a router with a circle cutting jig? I have used this method for larger holes, but it may be fine for a 3 inch hole.

+1 Scott. I have used this method for cutting 2 1/2" circles (zero clearance inserts for drillpress) on a quite a few occasions.

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Router will work, but if you go with a hole saw I have to recommend a carbide tooth saw. For Christmas presents this year I needed to bore 24 - 4" holes in 3/4" oak. Instead of dulling a $40 spiral bit, I thought I'd try the 4" bi-metal hole saw I used on my Paulk bench. Lasted 2 holes and the second hole was a show, with lots of smoke!

Off to Lowe's where I found a $30 carbide tipped hole saw. The thing cut all 24 holes (had to redo the first piece...dovetail slots too) and could easily cut 24 more.

Save your money, buy the best!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 3" Forstner (and a 4") and an adjustable hole cutter that will work. The Forstner has a hex shank so won't slip with the extreme torque generated by the large bit. You're welcome to borrow either or just make the cut on my drill press. I'm retired now so my schedule is pretty open if you want to come visit.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
If someone near you has a CNC machine, it would be quick and clean. If not, I could send you a baltic birch or acrylic template

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I have a set of Blu-Mol Bi-Metal hole saws. Not carbide but you are welcome to use them. When do you need them?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, I have a 3" forstner bit that you're welcome to borrow, as well as an adjustable hole cutting bit.

If you know where you want to drill the holes, you can bring your board along and drill the holes using one of my drill presses. That will save you a second trip back to return the bit.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
If you want to have some fun we can make those holes with a brace and an adjustable expansive bit.

If not, I can offer a few other alternatives. Take your pick: hole saw, forstner bit, circle cutter for the drill press, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors