2009 NCWW Shop Crawls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen much discussion about some 2009 Shop Crawls ... I think they happened last summer, so it's been about a year.

Any interest in doing that again? :gar-Bi

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
At the end of the last one, the southern Raleigh Crawl, I was a little burned out with organizing them. I think there was interest in a Chapel Hill/Hillsborough crawl. Anyone else want to organize it? I will provide guidiance. [sic]

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Go figure, I'll throw Hillsborough into the ring for consideration :)

I'd also be willing to help coordinate. As Doug might so eloquently alluded to, its a lot of work for just one person.

We could include Durham/Chapel Hill/Carboro/Mebane/Burlington.

Jim

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I'm always good for the shop crawls-Charlotte or anywhere else-how's about the mountain area-we haven't done one up there yet?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Not sure anyone was waiting for me to say this or not.....

Under the new bylaws, we could form a Shop Crawl committee.

I'd also propse we work together on all the Crawls in any geographic area. That way we share the "fun" and maybe establish some easier processes around it.

I'm going to change my profile to "we could form a committee".

We would need to be appointed by the Board.

Jim

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I apologize for my ignorance ... but what does a "committee" do that we wouldn't normally do? I've never understood the purpose, other than making someone responsible for making it happen. Enlighten me.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I know it would be a long shot and probably not very practical, but it sure would be cool to go on an "Eastern NC" shop [STRIKE]crawl[/STRIKE] marathon. :rotflm:

Maybe start in Morehead City and work down the coast to Southport. There are some very talented folks. Matt, Alan, Ernie, Striker, skeeter, [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] (see talented definition) :nah:, Wilmingtonian, Howard Acheson, and a few others.

I think it would be cool, but that is definitely some driving. :swoon:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I think any area should be open to a crawl. Like Doug said, there is a distance consideration ... and a number of shops.

The local Charlotte Woodworkers club does their own shop crawls pretty regularly. They have enough interest that they do a couple within even just Charlotte and sub-divide the city up making the visits even closer together.

I would think NCWW could get more shops into the mix. NCWW has a lot of members, but not all will be able to partake in the crawls probably. I think in the past you had to be active to a certain degree (with the hopes that would mean you were a known quantity).

So it sounds like there is interest ... the next step is likely the Committee (or whatever is needed) to take it to the next level of planning.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Quick personal history. I serve on several boards in town. Most activities/work gets done in committee. The Board lays out the road, the committees dig the ditches.

In some ways, I view it as a commitment from specific memebers to work on a task. It also gives people a place to go. Best of all, it helps divide up the effort.

My experiences working in committees are positive.

This might sound sort of Dr. Phil-ish, but people seem to follow through more when given a role on a committee. The boards I serve on had the best of intentions, but we never made the progress we now make through the use of comittees.

Normally I'm a free for all kind of person. But, in cases as complex as Shop Crawls or Picnics, things run "smoother" when people agree to be serve in a more official capcaity.

As Doug has born the bulk of the work in organizing crawls, I'd like his opinion (hint hint) on trying a committee.

Ok ok, my hidden agenda is to try to help support the Board and further the member involvement through use of the Bylaws. I would love to see the Board feel comfortable with member driven committees.

They have a lot of work ahead of them, and maybe we can set some prescidence that we can help.

I also envision Cindy Crawford delivering my order from Papa Johns. Free of charge cause I'm such a nice guy.....

Jim

I apologize for my ignorance ... but what does a "committee" do that we wouldn't normally do? I've never understood the purpose, other than making someone responsible for making it happen. Enlighten me.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Nothing against the committee idea, so please don't take it what way ... just looking for feedback on why and your explanation is good. I too serve on several boards and have my entire life and have been a part of, and assigned committees. However, my experience is that few people join a committee (without some pressure) and even within the committee usually a few take on a majority of the work. It does offer some ownership, but not usually to the degree one would think in concept.

Coordinating a crawl is a bit of an event ... and coordinating several crawls will even be a bigger thing. No one person should have to do this ... but it might make sense to do it city by city. The committee would have the benefit of learning from each other (as there is always a lesson to learn)

So Board ... what's next?

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Jeremy- Be happy to serve up my shop if so inclined and any interest. Not sure if too far for you as I'm in Sherrills Ford, north end of Lake Norman. Anyhow, offer there. Think I have some photos of shop on this site.
Thanks
Robb

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Anybody care to explain to this newbie what, exactly a shop crawl entails?

I'm sure it includes visiting different shops...what else?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Anybody care to explain to this newbie what, exactly a shop crawl entails?

I'm sure it includes visiting different shops...what else?

eggzakary what it sounds like.:gar-La; i think the rules are newbie buys lunch?:rotflm: or not......:gar-Bi

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Best way to start, regardless of who is involved is to start a thread asking for shop hosts. Once we have enough shops in a geographic area I can provide guidance on organizing the order of shops and the lunch break. Then there is the distribution of the crawl data. I have done this via email in the past for security reasons.

I have had interest from the Lafayette area and Chapel Hill, others are welcome. We just need a critical mass.

I do appreciate the help. Honestly the last one wore me out. There were a lot of changes and revisions and cancellations...

One thinng to think about: Someone living in the area of the crawl needs to advise on the route. Construction can be a real PITA!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS