2006 Woodworker's Symposium

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

Part of my TWA activities puts me in a place to receive notice of other club's activities. While most are too far away to be practical, this one came to me last month, and thought those of you with "restless feet" might want to consider going.

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
Box 8006
Atlanta, GA 31106-0006
Date: December 6, 2005

Dear Fellow Woodworkers;

We invite you to attend the Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia 2006 Woodworking Symposium, being held April 8 & 9 2006. This is a great opportunity to associate with other woodworkers and participate in lecture/demonstrations by our speakers.

This year's symposium includes 2 very well known speakers:

• Ernie Conover: A man whose name is well known to a whole generation of woodworkers. He is a prolific author, with seven books, four videos and hundreds of articles to his credit. He is an award-winning craftsman, lecturer, consultant and expert witness, among his many talents. He also teaches and provides academic oversight for the Conover Workshops, a craft school founded by the Conover family.

• Garrett Hack: Uses his civil engineering background in designing joinery and in every way trying to design and build furniture with lightness and elegance. Garrett divides his time between making furniture - almost entirely commissions with each piece unique, writing books and articles, and teaching across North America.
Topics of discussion include:

• The Balance between Hand and Power Tools: Why you should be using hand tools in a machine age.
• How hand planes can solve your woodworking problems: Why you need a cupboard full of hand planes even though you own thirty-four routers.
• The Dovetail: Why a set of chisels and a back saw is better than a dovetail jig for anyone building furniture.
• The Mortis and Tenon Joint: Why you should make them by machine but know how to cut them by hand.
• Turbo charging your hand plane. Tuning planes and what that's all about, choosing the right tool for the task, and then getting the best work from it.
• Sharpening, what is the difference between sharp and SHARP. What are the differences between the various systems and how to get the best results.
• Scratchstocks, simple tools for sophisticated work — inlays, cockbeads, side beads, and other small moldings.
• Shaping wood with planes and spokeshaves. How to shape and smooth a variety of curves — such as a drawer face or chair leg.

This two day event includes 8 sessions, 2 meals, snacks and beverages. The price for admission is $110 before 3/13/2006 and $130 after. Rooms are available at the hotel where the event is being held for $59 per night. I have included several brochures for your members who might be interested. If you need more information please let me know. You can also find additional information at http://www.woodworkersguildofga.org/Symposium/index.html or contact me at paul@rubin.net

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That does sound like a very interesting program. But just a little far for me to go. Oh, I miss for those days when I had no responsibilities.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors