2 Hp HF Dust Collector vs 2 Hp WEN 3403

Fred J

Fred
User
Does anyone own a WEN 3403 dust collector? I’m thinking of purchasing the WEN to avoid the HF impeller upgrade as the WEN comes with a 12 inch impeller. I’ll be pairing this with a Wynn filter and cyclone of some type.

The only drawback to the WEN is the amp draw.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Drawback? Both are 2 HP and 110V. Both need a 5-20 outlet on a 25A breaker fed by 10 gauge wire.
In my experience 2 HP is not big enough for a ducted system. Roll around single tool, probably just fine.
My experience says WEN does a better job making cheap tools than most.
HF says out of stock until October.
The cyclone and Wynn will reduce the flow a bit, but it would then be a dust collector instead of a dust distributor.
Just looking at impellor diameter does not tell the entire story. Shape of blades, height, fit to housing, etc. Just changing the impellor sounds like a good way to overheat a motor.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Generally speaking, I will get WEN over HF any day. The WEN power tools are a big step up from HF. I have the smaller WEN dust collector, 3401 12-gallon, that I recently mounted on a wall and am working on connecting tools too. Mine is going to go through a Rockler cyclone dust separator. I have a small shop and will only be pulling from my table saw, router (attached to table saw), miter saw and a oscillating sander. Will only be running one at a time so my needs should be covered.

The cyclone will keep the larger bits away from your system to reduce chance of clogging but as mentioned, it does affect the overall suction power. But the WEN should be more powerful than the HF overall and shouldn't hurt your collection too much. It is a reasonable cost and worth the shot and at 2HP, the WEN has more oomph than many other brands in this price point.

There are a lot of video reviews on the WEN tools but this seems like a really good bang for the buck.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS