1st "Real" Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Well, this is my first "real" project...It's the first piece of a corner desk set that I plan on putting in my home office - good thing we've had no rain since I can only work in the yard and on the deck (the workshop is only 12'x7'). I used all oak and used a pocket hole jig to connect the legs, railings and table top. I plan on sanding and finishing in a dark mocha in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• 1 033.jpg
    1 033.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 1 034.jpg
    1 034.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 220

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sandy,

The first project is looking good. What other pieces will go with this set? What kind of a finish are you using?

Keep posting the photos... I'd like to see the whole set... and maybe one of the set in its final location.

Ray

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Ray...there's going to be another identical desk and a corner piece to connect them that will hold a printer. I would like to have a drawer in the second desk, but if I tried that now, I'd just waste good wood.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sandy,

If tackling the drawer is too much for now, maybe one of the other folks here in NCWW can lend a hand. You can also buy drawer boxes from manufacturers that supply cabinet shops. All you do is add a front and the slides.

Ray

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I always have my goto NCWW how to Guru, my dad, Larry Rose - I have probably called him on this desk so much he's going to send me a bill!!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sandy,

How can dad possibly say no. If it's tools you need, just take your materials with you on the next visit home. Alternatively, I'm sure you can get access to a shop closer to your place with a request here in this pile-o-sawdust (i.e., North Carolina Woodworker).

Ray

J

jeff...

Sandy,

If tackling the drawer is too much for now, maybe one of the other folks here in NCWW can lend a hand. You can also buy drawer boxes from manufacturers that supply cabinet shops. All you do is add a front and the slides.

Ray

Sandy - I know first hand your feeling about making drawers - I too cringe at the though. Although drawers are nothing more than a lidless box, it's fitting them in the hole and the endless choice of slides that makes me very uncomfortable. Seems like each slide has a different side clearance requirement. I've tried a few times to get threads going about building and fitting drawers, although some really good information came from them. It was not enough details to give me confidence to comfortably tackle making drawers. I do make them but really struggle and it's not very enjoyable... It's my own fault too that I haven't picked up a good book yet.

REALLY nice desk !!! simple yet functional - I really like it

Thanks

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hi Sandy, That table is looking good. It's nice to have a good mentor, especially when it's your dad! I will add one suggestion. I think it would be a good idea to add corner braces to help strengthen the legs.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
... and they don't always have to run on slides. A drawer can sit on a dust frame, or slide on a pair of wooden runners. Just think about some of the drawers you've seen in other types of furniture.

Ray

BarryC

New User
Barry
That's a nice looking first project. I am still finishing the inside of my shop and haven't started a real project yet.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sandy, that's a great first project. Bolder than mine!
Keep up the good work, we know you have good genes :icon_thum

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
That's a fine looking table for sure. Good for you making something that good looking with only limited facilities, makes it even more impressive.

I did notice that the hardword store in Gibsonville has nice drawer boxes for sale if you are thinking about it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I always have my goto North Carolina Woodworker how to Guru, my dad, Larry Rose - I have probably called him on this desk so much he's going to send me a bill!!

With Larry as your mentor (and Father) you can't go wrong. And it looks as you didn't, that's a very nice looking table, and far better work than my first "real" project.

Dave:)

Last edited:

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I now have the first couple of stain coats on the desk. My wife had suggested a dark stain, so I decided on a Dark Mocha that will be finished off with a few coats of polyurethane. Wasn't too sure of that dark of a stain, but I have to admit that I really like it.

Attachments

• 1 062.jpg
    1 062.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 1 063.jpg
    1 063.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 172

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sandy,

That color came out terrific. I couldn't tell from the photos (bad monitor, worse eyes)... what kind of wood did you use?

Ray

DavidF

New User
David
Ok Sandy time to come clean - DaveO says you are part of a Father/Daughter team and you say you have a Wife and like to fly fish...........

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Ok Sandy time to come clean - DaveO says you are part of a Father/Daughter team and you say you have a Wife and like to fly fish...........

You caught me... Sandy has been my nickname all my life - and if I used my given name of Larry Rose, you all would be wondering why dad was going down hill in his quality!!!:lol:

DavidF

New User
David
You caught me... Sandy has been my nickname all my life - and if I used my given name of Larry Rose, you all would be wondering why dad was going down hill in his quality!!!:lol:

We would have thought he was just trying not to show us up too much:lol::lol: Still a nice table though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS