1782 Stockburger Farmhouse Renovation

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brings back memories of the grandparents' homes I used to love to visit. I congratulate you on your progress and determination.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
For anybody following along, here are a few photos and updates. Managing subcontractors has been the most difficult part of this project. That said, we have some very detail oriented help and are making progress. We may run out of money before we finish, but it looks like we'll be able to get it water tight before then.

I'm currently remaking the window casings for two sides of the house. The original ones are badly warped and will not meet the siding correctly now that we have added OSB sheathing to these walls. Of course there is no dimensional lumber that is the right size, so I'm making them from treated 2x6s. It works pretty well, but is a time consuming process. This is a dry fit. After I finished it I primed all sides before installing with deck screws.
IMG_20240407_135716166_HDR.jpg

The winow unit in the living room is fully functional. All new glass. Primed with oil primer, then two coats of Sherman Williams exterior paint. The top sash is now fixed in with caulk and hidden trim screws. The bottom sash is fully functional and rides up and down on a galvanized track. They work better than new.
IMG_20240113_105425554_HDR.jpg

Our carpenter built this great side porch for us. The main posts are 4x6s. We'll stain and seal it....someday. This will be the primary entrance that my wife and I use to enter the home. The door for this spot has been stripped, sanded, primed, painted, and re-glazed with tempered glass. I can't wait to get it installed. The hip roof here is new, too. I used self-sealing underlayment and typical 3 tab shingles.
IMG_20240113_165554037_HDR.jpg

There used to be a doorway in place of that transom window, but it was about 5ft tall, in a wall that was completely rotten, and went to a porch that no longer exists and would extend to what is now the neighbor's property. It's great knowing that we went from a wall with no sheathing, to having 5/16 OSB and house wrap. It'll keep the house a lot drier, quieter, and warmer.
IMG_20240222_151210159_HDR.jpg

This wall was completely composed of rotten logs. We reframed it with 2/8s, and it still isn't quite thick enough. We'll fur it out before drywall.
IMG_20240222_202039164.jpg

Here is one of the three tiled showers. We have a great tile guy. This is my first experience with kerdi board. It's fine, but...💸💸💸
IMG_20240317_174833713.jpg

Here we are evaluating the logs on one of the two walls where we removed the siding to add OSB sheathing. There was no sheathing here before, so water intrusion had created a lot of rot in the 1782 logs. We replaced completely rotten logs with 2x8s and 2x10s fashioned into hollow beams, sort of like miniature load bearing walls, which is what they really are.
IMG_20240210_113048072_HDR.jpg

Here's an example of one of the replaced sections. The top part is where the log home turns into conventional framing. We reinforced all of the old 2x4s with new lumber.
IMG_20240210_150912148_HDR.jpg

That's all for now. We're hoping to get two of the exterior walls sided and painted in the coming month or so. We're using 8" beveled pine siding. We're priming it on both sides prior to installing it. Wish us luck.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors