15" Spalted Ambrosia Maple Natural Edge Bowl

teesquare

T
Senior User
Nice bowl. Love the shape. Never used Tried and True on my turnings. Is that a tung oil? I mostly use Mahoney's walnut oil.
Tried and True Original is only boiled flaxseed (which IS “linseed” ) and beeswax. No other chemicals at all. Yet it dries faster and more teliably for me than walnut oil- and even tho the walnut oil is “ de-natured” by the manufacturer- I have had several customers request me not use it strictly on the side of caution. Concerns over tree nut allergies. So- I tried the T&T and really liked it and just kept it as my go- to finish to eliminate any potential known allegens and it is completely safe for me to use as well. Buffs up nice as a bonus.😊

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I'll have to give it a try. What is your setup for buffing. Beall buffing system? I really need to step up my turning. lol

teesquare

T
Senior User
The Beall is a great system. But often I will use a high speed bench monted buffer that resemble a grinder with a very long axle shaft -only on the outside of such a natural rdge bowl as this and avoiding any possible contact with the bark. Such contact would rip the bowl out of your hands when the bark gets caught in the cloth of the buffing wheels. So I then switch to a muslin half dome buffing head that is chucked into a drill on high speed. I can control the speed and exactly where I am buffing with that and it will give a nice sheen/glow to the wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS