1/4 sawed Red Oak 1/5" veneer ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

insteadof

New User
james
Thanks to Jeff I have a ton of !/4 sawed Red Oak. I am considering building a Mission style Dresser; however. planing and glueing-up this wood for side panels seemes like a waste and also heavy. Question? Is there a such a thing as 1/4 sawed Red Oak :dontknow: veneer, and if so where might I locate a supplier? Also other suggestions are appreciated. Thank You! J. Baker (insteadof)

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am going to jump in here and bet that what you have is 4/4 red oak from Jeff. I have never heard of commercially available 1/4" red oak and that would be flimsy for drawer sides anyway. I would recommend Poplar or Baltic Birch plywood for the drawer sides. I believe 1/2" poplar can be found for drawer sides but don't hold me to it. HTH!!

insteadof

New User
james
Re: 1/4 sawed Red Oak 1/2" veneer ?? (sorry about 1/5")

I did not mean to convey that I wanted !/4 inch. veneer. I want 1/4 (quarter sawed) X 1/2" (half inch thick) Red Oak veneer. Sorry about the mix-up. (insteadof):dontknow:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Call some of the wood outlets here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/view.php?pg=woodlist
and see if they have 1/2" QSRO Faced plywood. Jackson in Fuquay-Varina, Raleigh Hardwoods or NC Hardwood Store should be able to get it. Also check around with your local cabinet shops. They may have some they would be willing to sell or can include a sheet on their next order. If you strike out or it's outrageously expensive you can get 1/4" QSRO plywood and glue it to some less expensive 1/4" plywood backer for the inside face. Lowes has decent 1/4" Birch they're selling as floor underlay for ~$11/4X8 sheet.

To do veneer right you need a vacumm press or some other way to apply lots of pressure evenly over the whole surface. Otherwise it will not laminate correctly and will be a longterm PIA.

J

jeff...

I was out at Jim's (Insteadof) today. If I understood correctly, he's looking for 1/2" QSRO Ply. Who carries it around the triangle area?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS