1/2" plywood usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
If you had 10 sheet of 1/2" birch plywood what would you do with it? I have seen many applications for 3/4" from cabinets to furniture. I know all about faceframes with 3/4" but can't quite see the use of 1/2". Any thoughts? I would like to see the application with furniture or maybe cabinets in my shop. Is this where strips of wood are glued to the edge? And could you stain it up to look like walnut, cherry or is it best to paint it. Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: 1/4" plywood usage

It depends. Your title says 1/4 and your thread says 1/2. Still, it depends on the price it cost me and the grade of plywood that it is.

For 1/2 inch, jewelry boxes, drawer sides, lightweight small cabinets, panels in larger cabinets, shop jigs, and lots more.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine

Travis, you are right. I mean 1/2". So there is no way to use it on the exterior of furniture and stain or dye it? Just a thought. It is good quality. There will always be drawers to be made and jigs. Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine I editted the title of your thread to ½" so it conicides with what you're asking about.
I think Travis nailed it on the main uses of ½" ply. It can be used for pretty much the smae things as ¾", but on a smaller size scale. I find it best used for dust frames, drawers sides and dividers. If it has a nice veneer you could use it for small cabinets and boxes also.
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Travis, you are right. I mean 1/2". So there is no way to use it on the exterior of furniture and stain or dye it? Just a thought. It is good quality. There will always be drawers to be made and jigs. Thanks

Lorraine-----------It could be used as flat panels in doors or side panels on base cabinets. If you use 3/4 face frames with a 1/4 groove then you would have to rabbett the edges of the panel on both sides to leave a 1/4- tongue. When the panel is installed in the face frame it would leave a 1/8" reveal on front and back.

There would be some tedious set ups on the panels and face frames to avoid showing any cracks around the perimeter of the panel. It is not impossible to do-------just time consuming. Drawer sides is probably the best way to use it.:)

Jerry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I would say you can use it for furniture, but it is plywood and you have to hide the edges.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I had to learn a lesson recently when I tried to use 3/4 plywood for drawers with dovetails. I burnt the bit and it want cheep. I have a walnut display in mind with walnut framing, glass fronts and sides and walnut top and bottom. I was thinking of the plywood for the top and bottom if I could stain it close enough to pass for walnut. I guess I will just have to experiment with it. It wouldn't be too thick for the back of a piece of furniture would it? I know you usually use 1/4". Well I see drawers in my future. Thanks guys. Might as well cut half of the sheets in half so they will be easier for me to handle. BTY my planer is waiting for a pulley so the walnut trestle tabletop is on hold till the middle of the week. Pictures will come soon after. Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Why try to make it match? Why not try mixing a dark color and a light color? Look at some of the stuff erasmussen has in his gallery.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Lorraine, If your planer is down, you are more than welcome to use mine. It's a 13" Dewalt. Let me know if that will help.
Take care,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS