Search results

1. 4yanks

Pair of panel gauges

Beautiful! I made a panel gauge several years ago that I was pretty proud of, until now. Nice work.
  2. 4yanks

Hutch complete

Great job!
  3. 4yanks

When did Jet stop making jointers that were blue?

I bought my blue Jet jointer (new) in 1995.
  4. 4yanks

How often do you drain your Air-Compressor?

I bought one of those kits for a verticle tank compressor. Just before the tank reached capacity the drain valve blew open and stayed open. I may have had a defective unit. At the time I chalked it up to expecting too much from a $10.00 piece of equipment and removed it.
  5. 4yanks

Jet 16/42 Lathe Review w/ tons of pictures

Congratulations Matt. I have the same lathe and love it.
  6. 4yanks

Tops for shop cabinets ??

Dean, The polyurethane finish does an adequate job at keeping the surface from distorting do to spills (water, oils, finishes). It has stained a little over time but not bad. I put solid tops on the cabinets below and leveled them before mounting them in place. I scribed the back edges then...
  7. 4yanks

Completed five drawer chest. Finally!

Beautiful as usual Dino.
  8. 4yanks

Tops for shop cabinets ??

I used MDF. I rounded the corners and chamfered the edges. I finished it with polyurethane and wax it about twice a year. It has held up well 3 years on. Although it doesn't look as good as Bill's (and I'm sure nowhere near as good as the Mahogany Phil is offering), it is cheap and has...
  9. 4yanks

Building a Pergola - Updated Pics

Re: Building a Pergola +1
  10. 4yanks

Handling or Adjusting for Run Out

You've not included much information on the nature of the problem. Have you measured runout at the spindle? If so, I'm not sure the lathe is worth the effort to fix it. Have you attempted to line up the center point of the spur center and the live center to see if they line up? If they don't...
  11. 4yanks

flip up workstation plan?

I built a flip top stand some time ago. The link to my thread is located here. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f81/flip-top-stand-16264/ At the bottom of the page Bas posted a link to the stand that I took my inspiration from.
  12. 4yanks

Surface rust on table saw

+1 on T-9 Rust Free. Used it once about 4 years ago, Boeshield periodically after that. No more rust.
  13. 4yanks

hollow mortise chisel

I have a dedicated floor model mortiser. I love it. It doesn't get used often but when it does I am grateful I have it. I have used an attachment for the drill press. I hated it. I still feel guilty about giving it away. To think I allowed someone else to suffer as I had. I would rough...
  14. 4yanks

Pocket hole screws & joint creep

An old trick I read somewhere suggested putting some grains of sand in a glue joint to keep it from shifting. I have tried it, it works. Another possibility is to use a spline. A slot cutter and router table should allow you to do it while concealing the spline. Biscuits are another...
  15. 4yanks

Flattening Glued Up Panels

Use a card scraper. Work the high spot down and feather out from there so as not to create a noticeable depression in the panel. A card scraper is cheap and can even be made from an old handsaw blade (Please not an antique!). Good luck.
  16. 4yanks

Would I ever love to have this in my shop!

While I agree that it is beautiful. I can't figure out for the life of me how the tail vise works. I don't see any dog holes in it nor on the bench itself. I did see a planing stop near the opposite end of the bench but that can be used without the tail vise. I also took a look at the...
  17. 4yanks

What wax for hand planes?

None would be my answer. In my opinion the potential finishing problems that could be caused by wax outweigh the benefits. I have used mineral spirits to keep the the sole of a plane clean and slick when planing SYP and it works well. Overseas I have seen craftsman use kerosene for green...
  18. 4yanks

Conquered the Fear

Very nice Mac.
  19. uniden_in_dash

uniden_in_dash

20. 4yanks

Incredible !!

I have been turning for over 10 years. I have not come close to mastering a skew. All I can do well with it is cut pommels and v notches. Mine is a premium brand in HSS that I use on a modern 2hp EVS 220v lathe! That guy makes me ashamed of myself.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS