Search results

1. walnutjerry

Small world coincidence.

I had a similar experience. I got a phone call from Arizona one day and the guy had a reproduction Moravian lantern I had sold at a craft show somewhere. Funny thing is he did not know what it was but he liked it ----he found it at a thrift store there in Arizona. He did understand what it was...
  2. walnutjerry

New User - The Hardwood Store

What exit-----------address?
  3. walnutjerry

How do you cut small trim pieces?

use a wider/thicker piece of material, set the table saw up on a 45 and adjust the rip fence to rip the desired triangular piece off each of the four corners. Much safer than trying to stabilize a small piece of material in a jig. Just my opinion.
  4. walnutjerry

Sanding Belt Failure Lessons

been there done that
  5. walnutjerry

Moving Powermatic 2000 table saw

mount some casters on the pallet for easy rolling . Assuming there is concrete runway coming out of the basement.
  6. walnutjerry

Black Walnut thread

When I worked for the millwork company part of my job was to receive materials coming in. Check MC on all kiln dried lumber etc. Walnut is in a world of its own when it comes to grading. Matt is on spot with his post.
  7. walnutjerry

What kind of wood is this?

sourwood???
  8. walnutjerry

Log ID help

Maple
  9. walnutjerry

Updated Chat software

i am not seeing a blue bubble anywhere on my screen
  10. walnutjerry

Jet mini-lathe and accessories

looking at the last picture you can see a step pulley. That indicates to me it is variable speed but not electronic variable speed. You change speed by moving the belt manually
  11. walnutjerry

Looking at jointers

I had a Craftsman 6" to begin with, could never get it "tuned". Bought a 8"Powermatic with a 6' bed some 15 or so years ago and have never been dissatisfied with it. It gives me the ability to do most anything I want to do. It is a more expensive machine than the ones you mentioned.
  12. walnutjerry

chair repair

Seems like I read or someone told me that denatured alcohol will rejuvenate hyde glue. Might be worth a try on one joint to see if it will do that. Supposedly it will soften the old glue and when the DNA evaporates it forms a new bond. I have not tried it ---------do we have any members who have?
  13. walnutjerry

Ideas on how its done

one step at a time
  14. walnutjerry

Wood ID please

Butternut is not hard---I have used it for windsor chair seats and it is easy to carve, at least as soft as white pine.
  15. walnutjerry

Inspiration?

when you get the answer----------let me know!!
  16. walnutjerry

Another wood?

Where was the tree located? The grain looks somewhat like what I have seen in butternut. However, I have never seen butternut on the stump so I do not know what the bark would look like.
  17. walnutjerry

Determining Board Ft from Forest

Call a forester----------pending how many acres you have, you may get it measured for free.
  18. walnutjerry

I'm Looking for the Collective Wisdom of the Group!

been there done that. #2 was the method I used but with a circular saw fitted with carbide blade. cut in 2 ft. squares and pried up with crow bar.
  19. walnutjerry

Copying cabinet door profiles

If you take the sample of the profile you want to a millwork company that has a molding operation with a profile grinder in use they can make the insert type knife for you with great accuracy. Depending on how good the knife maker is as to how long it will take. The company I worked for used 3...
  20. walnutjerry

Rocking chair

Have you considered a "Windsor" rocker? Imagine rockers on the chair in my avatar.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS