Search results

1. R

Need for a cabinet maker

I have a friend who knows a fellow who likes to rebuild old radios, like from the '20s and '30s or so. He would like to have a cabinet built for the radio chassis and I'm looking here to see if anyone is up to the challenge. This would be a fairly sizable cabinet to house the radio and...
  2. R

Free pecan logs

Sometimes people with wood-mizers will cut the wood and take half or so for payment. Used to be you could find local guys on the wood-mizer site. Roy G
  3. R

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

When I wanted a larger hammer I went to HD and checked out their selections. I won't mention the brand but one of their fiberglass handled hammer models had the head mounted at a slight angle to the handle. Every one I looked at was like that. Roy G
  4. R

Wooden screen door situation

I recently got a screen door at Home Depot. It was wood and made by Screen Tight. I measured and did my trimming and fitted the hinges and had to add an inch at the bottom because of the door sill design. Okay, I was going to paint it and notice some little dots on the horizontal divider...
  5. R

Paste Wax Replacement

Back in the day, a store called Home Quarters went under. During their sell-off I purchased maybe 10 cans of Staples wax. As of now I have 8 unopened cans left. That means I used up 1 1/2 cans of wax in 30 years. I just use it on rough-turned bowls to slow down the drying on the end grain...
  6. R

Question about Waterlox

Todd, I just use Waterlox because I like the finish it leaves. I had used other tung oils in the past but found I needed a wiping varnish and a lot of the tung oils turned out to be penetrating oils. No build to speak of and left a matte surface at best. The general public likes a glossy...
  7. R

DIY Steady rest with micro-adjust

Nice feature that it opens up so you can put your piece in from the side. Roy G
  8. R

FWW comment

If FWW is trying to appeal to all levels of woodworkers, why do they show using a 12" jointer to smooth the face of a board and then go to a 18" planer to get the thickness? Do all beginning woodworkers have that kind of equipment? Roy G
  9. R

FWW comment

As many of you know, Klingspor's has a box of free magazines by their entrance. I recently picked up a FWW from 2019 and read through it. Different from when I subscribed in the past. On a further visit I picked up some FWW from 2010. I was surprised to find an article on getting a board out...
  10. R

Active Injury Mitigation Proposal (Sawstop)

I saw in FWW issue No. 213 there was an article about the lawsuit where a man cut up his hand badly on a Ryobi bench top tablesaw. He had removed the splitter and guard and was ripping a board without a rip fence. The decision was that the saw was defectively designed. Apparently the...
  11. R

Question about Waterlox

All the conversation here has made it clear why I like Waterlox. It is a wiping varnish and I really like the final appearance after a couple coats. The soaking into the wood is not important to me. I have found the final appearance is good and the overall wear resistance is fine. Thanks...
  12. R

Question about Waterlox

Along with the Waterlox I got a can of shellac. Thank you DrBob for your suggestion of shellac as a sealer under Waterlox. And Bloxygen does indeed work. I have used it on several cans of finish and never had any set up on me. I also tried the Stop-loss bags and they also work but are a...
  13. R

Question about Waterlox

I have used Waterlox for years on furniture and bowls. I had to buy another can recently and needed to decide which kind to get. In the past I had used the Marine finish and was pleased with the results. Since I hadn't used any in awhile I went to the Waterlox site and read up on their...
  14. R

Pallets of New Laminate Flooring

18% buyers premium. Roy G
  15. R

Dark Wood Suggestions

You could always dye a wood to the color you need. Roy G
  16. R

Hight Density Fiberboard Wanted

What is the advantage of HDF over MDF? I've used MDF and thought it was good stuff, although dusty. Roy G
  17. R

How about some dovetail help?

Claus, you may consider cutting a shallow rabbet on the tail piece. Only a 1/16" is all that is needed. This will allow you to register the pieces when you are marking the pins. If you cut the pins first, the rabbet will let you get the pieces in the right orientation. I saw this on one of...
  18. R

High Dew Point Alert!

Thanks for the reminder. Roy G
  19. R

Jet-JWBS-18 bandsaw-Is $1100 to much?

What does a new one cost? Roy G
  20. R

Sorby tenon sizer howto

The instructions show a beading and parting tool being used. The edge lines up with the rounded guide. Using a bedan would put the edge above the rounded guide. That may be your problem. Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS