Search results

1. MarkE

Looking for donations of hand tools that need restoration to donate

Scott, I have a couple of drawers of plane parts if you can use any. Mostly Stanley stuff, but some Sargent, Millers Falls, etc. I may even have a complete plane or three. I'll take a look. Do you have an idea of what pieces and parts you want/need?
  2. MarkE

Reason my segments are wrong size.

I guess I am old school. Measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe. Close enough.
  3. MarkE

Need a dry white oak or maple for fact. cart planks needs to make 3/4 x random widths x 25"L x 14' of width rough sawn ok.

I have a few pieces of white oak laying around. I am in Willow Spring.
  4. MarkE

Looking for hardwood cutoffs added photos

I have some that I could part with. Let me know what sizes and species you are looking for and I will check my stash. I have a bunch of pieces and parts from disassembled antique tables and a bunch of table legs. Not just scrap but scrap with a story. :-) I am in Willow Spring, Johnston County.
  5. MarkE

Not sure where to go from here?

Woodworking magazines can be a good source for project ideas.
  6. MarkE

Festool observation

My first computer was an Apple II+. That was when Wozniak was still involved. I loved it because I could do what I wanted to it, experimentation was encouraged. Then, Apple became a very closed system (computers, phones, ipods, etc. ) that works well for lots of people who just want it to work...
  7. MarkE

Festool observation

I am not a big fan of Festool due to their pricing. I prefer to buy more reasonably priced tools that usually have attached power cords (or no cord needed). I can't think of a good reason why a removeable power cord would be a better option than one that is permanently attached. I also can't...
  8. MarkE

Old Stanley #5 type identification

Has to be a type 5. Two dates on lateral and no disc on lateral. Yada, yada, yada. To be honest, does it make a difference? It may be 130 years old or it may be 137 years old. It does look to be in superb condition either way.
  9. MarkE

Scrap plywood?

I did have a bunch of the 1/4" baltic birch a few years ago. It is all gone now.
  10. MarkE

Sanding disc hack

They have the Greentec discs in sizes and hole patterns to fit most current sanders.
  11. MarkE

Sanding disc hack

Klingspor has plenty of 5" discs with the Festool 9-hole pattern. Their Greentec brand is about the longest lasting sanding discs I have ever used. Beats the heck out of trying to modify other discs to fit the Festool 'standard'.
  12. MarkE

Classic Hand Drill--Brace In Great Condition - $8 (Archdale)

Looks like a good deal. It doesn't say what brand or model it is.
  13. MarkE

Which woodworking job do you hate most?

Oh yeah. Last time that happened to me I cut an 8" diameter hole in the shop wall and vented outside. NO MORE FILTER! If I forget to empty the collection barrel now, I get a temporary mess in the yard that usually gets taken care of by Mother Nature, or the next time I mow.
  14. MarkE

Couldn't Find One I Liked...

I'd like to see pics of the MG. :) When I got out of the Army in '76 I bought a brand new 1975 MG Midget. I loved that car. My Daughter cried and hugged it when we had to sell it to get a more family friendly vehicle.
  15. MarkE

Which woodworking job do you hate most?

I have this in the 5" size. Very aggressive in 'turbo' mode. Also surprisingly well balanced despite it's shape/design. It can be used with one hand on the top grip in 'normal' (aka not turbo) mode. In 'turbo' mode, hold on with both hands or bad things will happen...
  16. MarkE

Workbench - $150 (Raleigh) GONE

Nice work bench.
  17. MarkE

Somewhat miss-led

If you want to remove the wood tote there is a write up on how to do it on Time Tested Tools. https://www.timetestedtools.net/2016/12/02/i-need-to-remove-the-handle-on-my-old-stanley-45/
  18. MarkE

Shopvac muffler experience?

I have used these on my Ridgid Shop Vacuums. They do make some difference in the sound, it seems quieter but that is probably due to the lower pitch as Casey stated. I did not notice any difference in airflow or suction performance.
  19. MarkE

First Millers Falls jack plane

Millers Falls #14. Millers Falls bench plane type study

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS