Search results

1. C

What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

Hoka Bondi 8 shoes that get too dirty to go anywhere else. These are great shoes recommended by my pod. Only issue with them is the soles rub away fast.
  2. C

Stuck Table Saw Blade

Stupid question, but are you turning the nut the right way?
  3. C

Need suggestions for retractable castors for a heavy bench

Not sure if I can make this clear enough to understand, but this is a small bench I roll outside when nice. The large wood knob is attached to a piece of all thread and screws down on a board (blue taped piece) that is attached to the bench bottom cross member with hinges (shown on inside of...
  4. C

Newish Member

I am Mike Cuthriell and go by Cuthriell on this site. I have been here for several years now but never posted an introduction. I live in Smithfield, Va and retired in 2018 from a local power station. My primary interests are bicycles, gardening, and woodworking. Currently and probably for the...
  5. C

Thin Kerf Saw Blade Question

I leave a 7-1/4 inch blade on my 3 HP saw except when cutting thick rough stock, which is normally cut outdoors on a band saw. The thin blade makes for less mess and surely works the motor less.
  6. C

Smoke Detector

Thanks. I wear a half face when working. I keep a couple of drying cabinets running often and get tired of blowing out detectors. My fear is something starting up when I am not in there.
  7. C

Smoke Detector

Any recommendations for a garage smoke detector that alarms remotely? Our garage is semi detached from the house via a carport. It shares an upper floor wall with the house that is a fire rated wall. I tried smoke detectors years ago and ran into constant nuisance alarms from dust. Is there...
  8. C

Spokeshave frustration

This may not come across as I picture it, but I tap the brass part of the handle on the edge of the bench or whatever is near by to bring the blade of the Boggs in or out. Light taps work well for very fine adjustments. It is easy because you do not have to break your working rhythm. I have a...
  9. C

Spokeshave frustration

You might be approaching the cost of a LN Boggs shave.
  10. C

Flatten Veneer

I use MDF with fiberglass window screen touching the veneer and thick brown paper between the MDF and screen. Top it off with a second piece of MDF. The MDF is coated multiple times with shellac (what I mostly have). I place 40 pound lead bricks on top anywhere from 4 to 10 bricks depending on...
  11. C

Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector $100 off

I have what looks like this DC from HF that I bought in the late 90s as an on line order before they had a store reasonably close by. It has a single suction line. The only problem I have ever had was longish chips blocking the suction screen several times. An easy fix to pull the suction face...
  12. C

5 1/2 Hand Plane for $110.00?

You can try Patrick Leach. He sells decent tools and the descriptions are accurate. 5-1/2 Stanley planes show up often. http://www.supertool.com/forsale/list2023octob.html
  13. C

ID needed for this block plane

Maybe a Stanley 220 made in UK.
  14. C

Help With Cloudy Finish

Thanks for the link and other help. My quickest route was to take the finish off with a scraper and go to another finish.
  15. C

Help With Cloudy Finish

Any help appreciated for this table shelf. It has several coats of rattle can lacquer with cloudy spots showing through. The white spots visible in the photo are what is showing through the finish. Thanks, Mike
  16. C

Drilling holes for drawer pulls

See if you can find connector caps. They work like a saw nut.
  17. C

Stanley Block Plane Cam

The one on the right is missing the cam. The left 2 and right come from different model Stanley planes. The 2nd from right is a MF. All are interchangeable with the only difference being casting numbers. And I may have mixed them up at some time. All I am looking for is the cam lever and rivet...
  18. C

Stanley Block Plane Cam

Has anyone seen replacement cams for the old block planes? 9-1/4, 9-1/2, 110, 220, Etc have what I am looking for. I have one I want to give away and would like for it to be all there first. I've searched the internet without success. I remember seeing a kit with the cam and rivet way back but...
  19. C

chair leg tips/pads

Leather pads using old brown glue will do what you need. They also help when you have a floor that is not level by doubling up the leather on a leg or two. I cut them out with a gasket punch.
  20. C

Looking for a 5C

You can try Patrick Leach. His stock changes monthly and you have to subscribe to his newsletter. This is a link to the January issue. I have purchased from him and the descriptions are accurate. https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/5627?id=240192.302.1.1d4ce00cdfb6c605a7f53b10a57a39dc

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS