5 1/2 Hand Plane for $110.00?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have been considering a 5-1/2 for the shooting board, and this one looks enticing. But with the price of a Wood River is $300, I am guessing the taytool plane is just a cheap Chinese knock off with their logo on it. Has some decent reviews, but when something has a price difference of 200 bucks, figured I would ask the hand plane guru's on here their opinion.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry,
I can't help, I mostly buy old Stanley planes.

I did finally break down and get a Bridge City mini-block plane, only because it was on sale.
I am curious about the outrigger feature for planing small stock to a preset thickness.

Echd

C
User
I would think it would be fine. If it's not, flatten the sole on your table saw bed with some sandpaper and clean it up.

But I see decent looking Stanley's on ebay for much less than that taytools. I like taytools but if you think you're rolling the dice anyway, why not just get a stanley?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would think it would be fine. If it's not, flatten the sole on your table saw bed with some sandpaper and clean it up.

But I see decent looking Stanley's on ebay for much less than that taytools. I like taytools but if you think you're rolling the dice anyway, why not just get a stanley?
Just looked at E-bay. Was about to say the same as you...

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure you would need one that wide for use with a shooting board. The iron on a 5-1/2 is 2-1/4" vs 2" for the 5. With a shooting board you typically use only the bottom third or half of the iron.

I use a Stanley 62 (low-angle) plane with my shooting board. It has a 2" iron. I like the low angle since I'm most often shooting end grain.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have a 62 and have trouble using it on my board, just doesn't feel stable in my hand, and the low sides are an issue for me as well.

Looking at eBay, maybe the way to go for a used one.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I have used a stanley 6 on mine for awhile before I found my 5 1/2. Has the same width iron with some extra length. Probably a little bit heavier too.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Not to hijack the thread but I was looking to make a shooting board, hard to decide who's example to build off youtube, but all I have is a few Stanley #4,s.

From this conversation, should be looking to get a different hand plane?

Is there a good, better or best shooting board for small stock? Mostly I think I would use it to trim lining for small boxes..

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
@creasman did a really good write up on his shooting board. I imagine you could adjust the height difference of the plane "track" to be closer to the main bed level to give you more cut from a narrower plane. The posted thread is a really good discussion though.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not to hijack the thread but I was looking to make a shooting board, hard to decide who's example to build off youtube, but all I have is a few Stanley #4,s.

From this conversation, should be looking to get a different hand plane?

Is there a good, better or best shooting board for small stock? Mostly I think I would use it to trim lining for small boxes..
It's not about the width, it's about the weight. Personally I find the weight and length of a #6 just about right. Depends some on the size boards you're shooting. a 6-8" wide board is going to benefit from the extra mass.

Some advocate a LA jack or bevel up. I originally got a LA jack with the hot dog handle attachment from Lie Nielsen. But the plane is too light and I never liked using it for shooting.

That said, I wouldn't say run out and buy a bigger plane, I'd make your shooting board and see how you do with a #4.

After making probably 6 shooting boards, the one I like the best has a pivot (door jamb pin) on one end and a slotted hole and locking knob on the other end. This allows for a few degrees off 90 either way, which can be handy in some situations, like dialing in a drawer front side.

But the one mistake I've made, and why I'm about to make yet another one -- is not making it long (deep) enough. IOW the fence further away to 1) give me more of a running start and 2) allow a wider board to be shot.

One that I made had a base of melamine which gave a nice slick surface for the plane to ride on. :)

@J_Graham a 5 1/2 is longer than a 6?

I don't know anything about the Taytool, but I know you can't go wrong with a WoodRiver.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
It's not about the width, it's about the weight. Personally I find the weight and length of a #6 just about right. Depends some on the size boards you're shooting. a 6-8" wide board is going to benefit from the extra mass.

Some advocate a LA jack or bevel up. I originally got a LA jack with the hot dog handle attachment from Lie Nielsen. But the plane is too light and I never liked using it for shooting.

That said, I wouldn't say run out and buy a bigger plane, I'd make your shooting board and see how you do with a #4.

After making probably 6 shooting boards, the one I like the best has a pivot (door jamb pin) on one end and a slotted hole and locking knob on the other end. This allows for a few degrees off 90 either way, which can be handy in some situations, like dialing in a drawer front side.

But the one mistake I've made, and why I'm about to make yet another one -- is not making it long (deep) enough. IOW the fence further away to 1) give me more of a running start and 2) allow a wider board to be shot.

One that I made had a base of melamine which gave a nice slick surface for the plane to ride on. :)

I don't know anything about the Taytool, but I know you can't go wrong with a WoodRiver.
Thanks, the board is on the list for today which seems half over now, just looked at the clock...

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
@Rwe2156 the no6 is longer by a couple of inches. The width is the same. After reading my post I see where that was confusing haha.

Just to complete the thought. I got my first shooting board done. Its not pretty but the #4 works pretty well on it as does my block plane. So far.

Im only thinking of small parts right now but I understand the idea of a heavier plane. Thanks

Attachments

• 20231013_122411.jpg
    20231013_122411.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 72

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I prefer my #6 bedrock. The bedrock has square side where my Baileys do not, and like DrBob,said, It has enough mass to continue smoothly through the cut on wider pieces..

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Looks nice!
Is that just your own concept or did you follow someone's pattern?
I copied it from a YouTube video. I figured it was a place to start. I. Too new at this to plan when I'm not sure all the pit falls. Fortunately my wood is free right now so I can redo it when needed. It checks a block for now..

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, How about a companion How-to article to Jim's, "How I did it". Post in the Resources forum.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Jim, How about a companion How-to article to Jim's, "How I did it". Post in the Resources forum.
I'm sure I can put something together in the next few weeks. Should it be reviewed by staff or somebody prior to posting?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Review not required. If you would like a sanity review before posting, PM it to me.

And, thank you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS