Search results

1. B

Why are threads closed?

I've never participated in a forum which routinely closes threads, and I have used many of them. Why is it done on this site? I wanted to post an update here -- https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64078 -- but it's closed :confused: It's very off-putting to contributing to...
  2. B

Making a crosscut sled

I'm planning to make a large(r) crosscut sled so I can cut 24" pieces (the size of the hinged lids for my drop zone). The first thing I realised is that without an existing large crosscut sled, it's difficult to get a perfectly square piece of plywood for the base for the new one. I had to use...
  3. B

Made a bathroom vanity, complete with sinks and taps ...

... for my daughter's doll house! :D She's been pestering me since we moved here to make some furniture for her doll house so I figured it was about time. For the finish she's decided on silver paint for the taps, white paint with black flecks for the sink (to resemble granite), and green for...
  4. B

Made some stuff

The first thing I made with the table saw was this. Which enabled me to rip a piece of 4x8 plywood to make this. It's a basic box with sliding front panels made with a single sheet of 1/2" plywood and some old hardboard I had laying around. The hardboard was used by my daughter as a play...
  5. B

Crosscut sled runners from laminated hardwood flooring

I'm building a large crosscut sled so I can make the panel lids for my bench seat. I have boxes of hardwood laminated flooring available and when I cut a piece to width, it was the perfect thickness (depth) for the miter slot and slides extremely smoothly, so I figured it would make good...
  6. B

Correctly installing drive belts and tensioning them

I finally have a table saw (and a jointer). They had to be dismantled somewhat to transport them (thanks again Matt). Both belts are fibre link belts. What is the correct procedure for installing the belt(s)? Should the blade be fully up or down? How can I determine the tension is correct...
  7. B

Converting a 6-20P plug to fit a 14-30R receptacle.

I have 240V outlets in my garage - they are 4 prong 14-30R receptacles. I have two tools which are 220V but they have this plug which I believe is a 6-20P. There are 3 wires - green, black, and white. How would I correctly wire a new 14-30P to that? Do I just not wire anything to the...
  8. B

Dropzone project

I finally got started on the dropzone project this week. I decided to do it as a built in, rather than a free standing unit which slides into place. Various reasons for that but primarily I don't have a table saw so have no way of making clean, accurate cuts, dadoes, etc. I also wanted a...
  9. B

Home made 'track' saw

I had a piece of 4'x 8' plywood ripped in HD today (so I could get it in the car :rolleyes:) and thought that the machine they used was basically a circular saw on rails. Has anyone considered/tried building something like that? It would make for very straight cuts in lieu of ripping on a...
  10. B

Bought a block plane!

I should have done this long ago instead of using chisels, sanders, sharp knives, sandpaper, etc. Nothing fancy but it should come in handy for easing edges, etc. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002X1Z8/ The last time I used a plane was about 30 years ago. I wish I had hung on to those...
  11. B

Edge plywood or not?

I'm going to use a single piece of 6' x 2' x 3/4" plywood for the seat/lid of the shoe storage I am building. There will be a 3"-4" lip at the back and sides and the cut out pieces will form the two lids, which will have piano hinges along the back edge. Rough sketch ... It will be in an...
  12. B

Any interest in free (used) deck boards, hand rails, balusters, etc.

We're having a new composite deck built so just seeing if there's any interest in the existing deck boards, hand rails, balusters, etc. Everything except the sub frame, which will be re-used. Only 6 months old so everything is still in good condition. The boards are screwed, not nailed, so...
  13. B

Rougemont to Apex

Regarding this post: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63749&p=589324&viewfull=1#post589324 Is anyone travelling from Rougemont to Apex (or surrounding area) anytime soon and would be able to transport some rough sawn boards about 52" x 7" x 1". Would appreciate any help at all.
  14. B

Making a simple bird table

We get quite a few visitors to our garden so I thought it would be a fun project to build a bird table with my daughter. Do people generally just use marine ply for the base? For the main support post I can use PT lumber but what about the roof, side supports, base edging, etc? I don't really...
  15. B

Preventing a circular saw sole plate from sticking

The sole plate of my circular saw is clean and smooth but it still 'sticks' when cutting wood, resulting in more effort than should be required, and potential poor cuts due to applying too much force. Does anyone use anything on theirs to facilitate a smooth glide? I'm thinking a basic white...
  16. B

Grizzly mobile bases reduced

As part of their 12 days of Xmas thing, Grizzly mobile bases are reduced for one day only. The 700lb base is $49.95, the 1,300lb base is $69.95. http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(d2057a+AND+d2058a)+OR+(d2057a+OR+d2058a)+AND+(brand:%22Shop+Fox%22)+AND+(base)
  17. B

Maple burl and resin sphere

Not me (obviously) - this looks great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZT0ZTvRFxI Skip to 9:30 if you want to see the finished item.
  18. B

Finger jointed pine

The house next door are having some wainscoting done in several rooms and I noticed the chap doing it is using finger jointed pine. He had it in various sizes of what looked to be around 1x3 to 1x8. I was considering using MDF but this seems a much better idea as it cuts better, paints better...
  19. B

Enclosing a miter saw / miter saw dust hood

Having spent more time cleaning sawdust than actually doing work over the past two weeks, I came to the conclusion that enclosing the miter saw would possibly help. I don't mean entirely - just some plywood at the back and sides, something like this...
  20. B

General use bench plane

I don't have a plane of any sort at the moment. I'm looking for a general use bench plane for easing edges, etc. I don't want to spend too much - it's just going to be used for rough work - so around $30 is about where I want to be. Would this be acceptable -...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS