Making a simple bird table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogan

New User
We get quite a few visitors to our garden so I thought it would be a fun project to build a bird table with my daughter.

Do people generally just use marine ply for the base?

For the main support post I can use PT lumber but what about the roof, side supports, base edging, etc?
I don't really want to use PT wood there due to the potential to contaminate the bird food.

I could just use regular pine/poplar/etc. but how well would that hold up after a few months of rain and sun in the NC spring and summer?

I thought cedar shingles would be good for the roof covering - not sure how easy those are to find these days.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
you can give it a metal roof, then no worries about sun/rain on exposed wood.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
So you're planning on feeding the squirrels. Sorry to sound cynical, but we gave up on bird feeders as they attracted too many squirrels who did damage to the house siding and such. Your mileage may vary. They are definitely not a good idea up here in Bear country, but in Cary they just got emptied by the squirrels.

Good luck with the project though. It should be a good father / daughter sharing experience and squirrels can be entertaining as well as birds.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I put a few homemade feeding stations on a pvc post with a top twist lock mechanism that fastened the feeder to the post. Not 90% squirrel proof but better than a wood post. Plexiglass sides and a hinged lid for easy filling from bottom to top...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WoodLink-Deluxe-Cedar-Hopper-Bird-Feeder/50321225

I have some Atlantic White Cedar (juniper) that will make a fine feeding station with a roof and plexiglass sides. Yours free if you want it!.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I put a few homemade feeding stations on a pvc post with a top twist lock mechanism that fastened the feeder to the post. Not 90% squirrel proof but better than a wood post. Plexiglass sides and a hinged lid for easy filling from bottom to top...

http://www.duncraft.com/Two-Decks-Eco-Feeder

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WoodLink-Deluxe-Cedar-Hopper-Bird-Feeder/50321225

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formufi...-Cap-in-White-10-Pack-F112ECT-WH-10/205749505

I have some Atlantic White Cedar (juniper) that will make a fine feeding station with a roof and plexiglass sides. Yours if you want it!.

Brogan

New User
Thanks Jeff, that's very generous.
Some good ideas there too.

I'll have to see if I can arrange a PE for the wood.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Had the same problem here with the squirrels, plus the added annoyance of a mockingbird building a nest in our new Gutter Helmet gutters, which had an opening in the end of one for the birds to enter. They would attack anyone who tried to walk between the house and shop entrance, along with another added annoyance, black snakes that climbed the down spout to get at the nest. My wife spotted one snake at the bottom of the down spout, and another hanging out the end of the eaves trough. Got that gap fixed, and no more feeding the birds and squirrels and black snakes!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, that's very generous.
Some good ideas there too.

I'll have to see if I can arrange a PE for the wood.

The boards are rough sawn, about 52" l x 7" w x 1" t. One or two boards will give you a good start on the feeders.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gotcha Bruce!

A few annoyances but I'd rather have them as opposed to a sterile yard. I used to shoot the squirrels with a .22 and put them in the crock pot for a great meal or two. If I killed 2 squirrels, 6 more would move into the budget motel with their suitcases so I gave up.

We like snakes here as long as they're not poisonous so let them take care of rodents and other trash roaming about!

Brogan

New User
I'm with you Jeff - I like a bit of wildlife in the garden.

The daughter loves squirrels so it will be a win-win.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Squirrels ate through a stainless steel ridge vent 'squirrel guard' and committed $1,200.00 wiring damage. Thankfully, one died in the act and caused the garage lights to quit, so I didn't have to wait for the fire to make me aware of the problem.

As regards the original question; I have 2 feeders (one cypress and one pine) and 2 bluebird houses, again, one cypress and one pine.
All have been in the weather 4 years with no sign of rot.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I used to add a squirrel feeder at another location in the yard to ty to keep them away from the bird feeder. It didn’t stop them but they did look cute eating the corn at a table while perched on a chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors