Search results

1. M

Woodworking and Pesticides

My dad had an overgrown red tip photinia come down in the storms here in Raleigh last week. I’ve heard this solid wood is good for turning so I was thinking of using it for that. However, I know for a fact this tree was sprayed with Sevin pesticide back in the 90s (nothing commercial grade, just...
  2. M

Jointer Services Wanted

Hello, I milled up some cherry wood as best I can for a glue-up, but I seem to be unable to get the gluing edges flat enough not to leave gaps. It’s close, but there are some obvious gaps that I’d rather not fill with the “sawdust and glue” method. I only have a table saw and a hand planer and I...
  3. M

ISO Craftsman 30 Inch Bow Saw Blade

This saw never let me down, but this evening I let it down. I pinched the blade and broke it when trying to remove it from a log. I really blew it and am quite upset with myself for not being more patient when trying to remove the blade. I'd like to get a replacement blade of a similar vintage...
  4. M

Miter Saw Question

I bought a used Craftsman 10” miter saw to replace my old Metabo 10” saw. I apparently didn’t do enough research on the used saw before I bought it, because it turns out that the cutting capacity of the Craftsman won’t allow me to cut 4x4s all the way through (it leaves about an eighth of an...
  5. M

Oil for Old Scroll Saw

Hello. I picked up an old Craftsman 16” scroll saw that I’m looking to clean up and get working. To that end, the instructions say to use SAE 30 oil to lubricate the bearings. Forgive my ignorance, but the more I read about oil viscosity, the more confused I become. Can someone recommend an oil...
  6. M

Treadle Lathe

Originally posted in Turning, but I think Hand Tools is more appropriate. ———— I built this gnarly treadle lathe from Roy Underhill’s “Lathe from a Loft” article in a past issue of Popular Woodworking. I dismantled the kids’ old playset early this summer and repurposed some of the wood to...
  7. M

Need Help Identifying Species

Hello, I came across this log on the side of the road and thought I could use it at some point. However, with only a couple of exceptions, I have a very hard time identifying the species of a tree without leaves as a guide. One side of the wood seems to have a waviness to it; not sure if that’s...
  8. M

Drawer Design Question

I saw this desk at a local store in the "sold" section. This little pencil holder drawer extends out as pictured, but once extended fully it also rotates 90 degrees to sit flush against the desk. I didn't think to look more closely at the design at the time and now the desk is gone. I'm looking...
  9. M

Shaving Horse Bench

I am planning to build a "continental" shaving horse out of a red oak log from a tree that came down during hurricane Matthew. I don't plan on this being a piece of fine furniture; its prime purpose is to be functional. While I am a little anxious about boring holes to ensure the dumbhead...
  10. M

Wood Mallet

Beginning woodworker seeks advice. I am looking for some assistance with a mallet I am trying to build. I am generally following the plans laid out in the "Big Ash Mallet" episode of The Woodwright's Shop (http://video.pbs.org/video/2365021538/). I chose this project because it seemed like a...
  11. M

Greetings From Raleigh

Hello. I am new to woodworking. I only have one project under my belt, which was a carving project, and now I am looking to take on another project. I only work with hand tools, primarily for budgetary reasons but also because I enjoy the pace. Excited about joining the community... Dave

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS