Wood Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Beginning woodworker seeks advice.

I am looking for some assistance with a mallet I am trying to build. I am generally following the plans laid out in the "Big Ash Mallet" episode of The Woodwright's Shop (http://video.pbs.org/video/2365021538/). I chose this project because it seemed like a relatively "accomplishable" project given the video and other mallet-building instructions I found on line. I should have known better.

As you can see from the pictures, the issue I am having is that once I get the mallet head down to size, the wood eventually starts to split apart. I created two mallet heads and both split. However, both heads came from the same log so perhaps the issue lies with this particular piece of wood. As for the wood and its origin, this is what I can tell you:

-I believe it is oak
-The wood is not freshly cut, but I do not know how long it had been seasoned; however, the wood did feel a little damp when I removed the bark
-I made one mallet head completely from heartwood and I rived another that was comprised partly of heartwood and sapwood (the heartwood/sapwood mallet is pictured)
-With the mallet head that's pictured, I attempted to capture the "vertical end grain," although it was not entirely possible given the head's shape (about 5-degrees difference between top and bottom)

My questions are:

-I assume the splitting is due to the moisture content and/or drying process of the log. Is this the case?
-How green or seasoned should the wood be before I start?
-Should the sapwood be avoided for a project such as

My constraints are that I am attempting to accomplish this project with hand tools and on a limited budget, which is why I am using what is basically a log that was destined for the fireplace. In the end, it looks like this wood will find its rightful home. Haha.

I'd appreciate any advice and guidance. Thanks.

Dave

a4.JPG

b8.JPG

c10.JPG

d3.JPG

Rick M

New User
Rick
Cut your blank, seal the end grain with wax or paint and let it dry a few months. What happens is moisture escapes out the end grain so fast that the wood is shrinking at different rates, hence the cracking.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I agree with Rick..your wood is green and cracking as it dries.

I believe your stock should be dry before starting this project. Besides the cracking, the fit of the handle to the mallet-head will loosen over time as the wood dries (because the through-mortise gets bigger and the handle shrinks).

Skimming the video, I see that Roy is making this out of solid stock - but it can easily be made by laminating common 4/4 stock together with common PVA glue. Makes the mortising the head much easier - actually it's two dados that are then glued together.

If you are somewhere near Fuquay you can have a (dry!) remnant oak board out of my scraps bin.

-Mark

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Those splits won't hurt anything but looks. Go ahead and use it while you take time to get some seasoned wood to build a better looking mallet.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
What they said - but also stay away from the pith. That is the very center of the wood - the bottom of both pictures is very close to the pith. You will get the worst checking right around the pith. The further out from the center you can get with the wood you have, the better.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Mark, thank you also for the generous offer. Unfortunately, I'm out in north Raleigh and I don't make it down to Fuquay very often. That said, you have given me a good idea about approaching this project from a different angle. Thanks.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Dave, Paul Sellars on Youtube has a video on making a mallet. It really goes through all the steps and would probably answer a lot of your questions.

Roy G

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Those splits won't hurt anything but looks. Go ahead and use it while you take time to get some seasoned wood to build a better looking mallet.

20151021_170843.jpg
I agree with Mike.
This one is from a piece of wood that was growing through the fence from a neighbors yard. Turned way too green, it's ugly, it's way too light, but it works. Eventually I'll find a decent piece to turn another one but until then . . .

And oh yeah. It was fun practicing my turning and I don't care if it gets beat up.

Last edited:

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
20151021_210655.jpg
This is my "go to" mallet. About 12 oz. from a baseball bat and dowel. Yes, I have others. Even a mystery mallet from Roy's workshop class, and a couple glued up from oak planks, but these two are the ones I reach for most often or keep on the bench.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bruce, I have a similar mallet I turned out of persimmon. It is so beat up it looks like a piece of firewood. I also have one I recently turned out of elm. That has a nice heft to it. i would recommend getting some for your next mallet.

Roy G

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Wow Mike! That really really really beats my old beater. That is one beautiful mallet. Way too pretty for my workshop.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
P1060951.JPG

My first turnings. The mallet is locust and weighs in at just over 4 lbs. I used it to set a fence post that needed to be replaced.
It has a litle brother, but when something needs to be "convinced" it gets the job done.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
You've all given me inspiration and ideas. I appreciate it. Not sure how I missed the Paul Sellers videos when perusing the internet for guidance; I like his calm and detailed teaching method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS