Greetings From Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Hello. I am new to woodworking. I only have one project under my belt, which was a carving project, and now I am looking to take on another project. I only work with hand tools, primarily for budgetary reasons but also because I enjoy the pace. Excited about joining the community...

Dave

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to your new spot on the web Dave!
I think you will be glad you found us, there are a lot of hand-tool and hybrids here!

We LOVE pictures - shop pictures, shop pets, tools, projects nearly anything! (within "family friendly" reason!)
Please share your Photos, comments and thoughts...

Participating in discussions will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Here is information on how to post pictures;

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...e-to-your-post

Please post a photo of your carving project.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
congratulations Dave! You're today's winner! ...no seriously, this group has a tremendous wealth of knowledge whether it be hand tools or power tools. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask! I just love that saying...

Projects you say, we've done most of them. Don't be shy, we pride ourselves with being the nicest group of woodworkers on the net. Welcome!

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Thanks, everyone. Here is a before/after picture of the carving project, which is called a "double-helix candlestick." I took the idea from a Roy Underhill book. The instructions suggested using a chisel to remove the bulk of the wood, but I only had a Flexcut detail knife, which seemed to work well but took quite awhile. I eventually made two candlesticks, in addition to a third "triple-helix" version; I used a 2" poplar dowel from Home Depot for the triple-helix. As you might imagine, whittling away at the poplar wasn't nearly as easy as making my way through the basswood. If I were to do another of these, I'd make the descent of the helix less steep (which is to say closer to perpendicular to the length of the candlestick, if that makes any sense). At any rate, I plan to post some questions about my next project in the General Woodworking forum.

IMG_26461.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks good Dave - thanks for posting.

will it be a candlestick when completed? (or is it already)

Or was it simply a challenge to see "Can I do it?" :rolleyes:

There is one that Ernie Conover does on the lathe (by hand) he just uses the lathe to hold and turn the blank...
I think his helix is a little more "relaxed" or as you put it "less steep"

Richo B

New User
Richo
Welcome to the forum Dave. I admire the hand tool only crowd. I am one of them, mainly for the same reasons you are. Don't let the power tool slaves on this site bring you down.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Dave,
Welcome to one of the nicest groups on the web. I joined a year ago and have enjoyed learning much about woodworking.

-Barry

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
These are serviceable candlesticks for the next ice storm. I actually hope not to have to use them. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS