Progress on shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Measuring straight across from the inside edge of the bar to the tip of the leaf on the pad is 7-3/4" (well 7-5/8" on one and 3/4 on the other - they are hand made.) It's a 12 inch ruler but has markings to 12-1/2" plus about 1/2" of sideways markings. Overall it is 13" long.

Notice that the bar that is in the dog hole is not a full 3/4" diameter. That is what makes it work in my thicker bench top. There is wiggle room to make it grab and hold. The Gramercy holdfasts are much closer to 3/4" diameter and didn't work very well at all. They seem to work best in a 2-3" thick benchtop.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Here ya go. They have a thin gold overlay on the design portion. I believe this was a trademark of the Blacksmith who made them. Can't think of his name off-hand. He was mentioned in Schwarz's Blog, but I understand he no longer makes hold-fasts.

Ken, would the Blacksmith be Peter Ross?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't think it was Peter, might have been Koontz. Seems like they were shipped from Alaska when I got them. The guy was great - sent them on faith. Said if you like them, pay me x amount when you receive them, if not send them back. I sent a check the day I received them.

Broke out the dial calipers - they are between .69 and .70 inch in diameter. They vary somewhat along the length and are very rough, not smooth like the Gramercy's.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Koontz retired and several successive smith's have taken up his business. Now there is none that I know of.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, those are the ones with the leaf pattern. Phil Koontz was who I bought them from - paid about that same price. The leaf had thin gold plating on his originals. Hard to tell from the pictures if they continue that tradition. Glad to know they are still available. Handmade versus mass produced is kinda neat. At least some crafts haven't died out completely and still provide useful tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Added a little tool rack to the bench.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That looks nice and functional. My only knock on it would be that I don't like the fact the chisels are sticking out the bottom. I'd prefer that they landed on a shelf for safety reasons. But maybe I'm just picky.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A good place to keep the tools you use regularly handy. I'm like Ken though; it wouldn't take long for me to bump all those lower edges.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That end of the bench is up against the belt sander. You would have to work to get a body part near there. I guess it could happen but 99% unlikely. If I move it later I will do it differently.

Thanks for the input.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Nice tool rack, Mike, and I know where it's located relevant to your belt sander. It would be difficult to bump into the tools. I was going to make a wall - mounted square rack for you, guess it's not needed now.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My chisel rack is in the cabinet, this is only for squares, marking tools, and the one rough chisel I use for removing glue.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. here is my question -
It looks like the tool rack is on the "planing end" of the bench?

So when you are face planing or edge planing a boar in the vise you have to move the tools?

Maybe I am missing something...

Building a "mobile" chisel rack -
mount on or close to the bench AND if a tool box ever appears - it should "slot" into it as well!!!

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
End vise is at the other end, the side vise is up here but the old bench was set up the same way and never had a problem with anything getting in the way.

i planed two boards yesterday and all worked as intended. I don't think I will regret this.

And there will will be a small tool tray soon.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
End vise is at the other end, the side vise is up here but the old bench was set up the same way and never had a problem with anything getting in the way.

i planed two boards yesterday and all worked as intended. I don't think I will regret this.

And there will will be a small tool tray soon.
Sorry for being obtuse - so when you face plane a board - it is done at the other end in the opposite direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS