Finished a pen tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I finished a purple acrylic pen tonight for a friend in Colorado. The picture doesn't do it justice. It looks a lot better in person. I'm trading it for a painting she did of dragonflies. I'll be giving the painting to my girlfriend when I receive it.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_9932.JPG

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice color!
:)
So Mike. What kind of pen kit did you use. European? You did a nice job of flowing the curve from tip to the ring.

She will treasure it I am sure.

Wayne

MikeH

New User
Mike
Very nice color!
:)
So Mike. What kind of pen kit did you use. European? You did a nice job of flowing the curve from tip to the ring.

She will treasure it I am sure.

Wayne

It's a European. That's the majority of what I've turned lately although I do have a new kit from Woodturningz that I will be working on soon.

The pic below is from their website:

PKPHXC.jpg

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
I just kinda had my feelings hurt not getting any responses. LOL.

I admire the pen, and admire you for saying this (above).

Frankly, I am still edgy about pen-making. I would like to do it, and it would be PERFECT for gifts/awards at work (I am a nurse educator, and nurses use pens ALL THE TIME) but somehow I can't get my brain wrapped around the various parts. We even have some kits here and I haven't settled to the task. So I admire pen-making, too.

:icon_thum

MikeH

New User
Mike
I admire the pen, and admire you for saying this (above).

Frankly, I am still edgy about pen-making. I would like to do it, and it would be PERFECT for gifts/awards at work (I am a nurse educator, and nurses use pens ALL THE TIME) but somehow I can't get my brain wrapped around the various parts. We even have some kits here and I haven't settled to the task. So I admire pen-making, too.

:icon_thum

I would be more than happy to show you sometime. Maybe we can set up a workshop and I'll teach. Thoughts?

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
I would be more than happy to show you sometime. Maybe we can set up a workshop and I'll teach. Thoughts?

I would love that. We could swap lessons if you wish. Also our shop is available as needed.

Off to another round of meetings. I am the clinical educator at the new facility for Veterans in Black Mountain and we are in a world of planning right now.

MikeH

New User
Mike
what tools are you using to turn the acrylic ???

Tat,
I use a roughing gouge for shaping the general shape and then I switch to a scraper to smooth out all the ridges. I'm pretty anal about getting the acrylic ridge free so I spend a good bit of time with the scraper. Once I'm satisfied with the feel of it I start sanding. I usually start around 400 grit then go to 600, 800, 1200 and then switch to micromesh at 1500 all the way up to 12000 grit.

Tat,
I use a roughing gouge for shaping the general shape and then I switch to a scraper to smooth out all the ridges. I'm pretty anal about getting the acrylic ridge free so I spend a good bit of time with the scraper. Once I'm satisfied with the feel of it I start sanding. I usually start around 400 grit then go to 600, 800, 1200 and then switch to micromesh at 1500 all the way up to 12000 grit.

WOW.... you give me hope I was sure you had to be using carbide cutters .... I'm even more impressed

nsawyer12

New User
Nate
I would love that. We could swap lessons if you wish. Also our shop is available as needed.

Off to another round of meetings. I am the clinical educator at the new facility for Veterans in Black Mountain and we are in a world of planning right now.

Milissa, I see you live in Leicester, so do I?? You are more than welcome to come over and I can show you how to do pens. I am still very new at turning, but I have made over a dozen pens so far, both wood and acrylic. Let me know! Where abouts in Leicester are you?

nsawyer12

New User
Nate
I finished a purple acrylic pen tonight for a friend in Colorado. The picture doesn't do it justice. It looks a lot better in person. I'm trading it for a painting she did of dragonflies. I'll be giving the painting to my girlfriend when I receive it.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_9932.JPG

MikeH,

That is an awesome looking pen! Love that acrylic!! :eek:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
My wife and I love turning pens. Some turners pooh-pooh pen making. I think pen turning is wonderful. A good, exceptional bowl blank can cost $40 or way more. An exceptional pen blank can start at a dollar. Add in the possibility of sentimental wood and you have many ways to go with your handiwork. Pens can be made from: countertop of new kitchen, Daddy's bowling ball, maple flooring of replaced H.S. gymnasium, replaced decking of "Old Ironsides" for Navy veterans, Grampa's old rocker that finally fell apart, the ideas are endless! My avatar is a group of mimosa pens given to the blood relatives at the funeral of a woman who planted the tree.The tree was twelve yrs old. It died about a year before her death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS