new bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I am looking at getting a new bandsaw. Do you guys have any views on what's good and bad. I use a bandsaw but not a whole lot. I am wanting one with a few features but definitely not breaking the bank. I will do that on a router setup (need some suggestions on that one too). I am looking to spend 500 to 600 on a bandsaw.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Unless you plan to do a lot of resawing, I think one of the 14" saws will do you a nice job. :icon_thumThey are affordable also. I have a Delta, but Jet and others make nice saws also.:dontknow: If you keep your eyes open, you can probably find a nice used saw for half the price of a new one.:wsmile: Good Luck!

kclark

New User
Kevin
Any idea what the difference is between the G0555 and the G0555P?

other that amps on the 110 and 220

ebarr

New User
Wayne
looks pretty much identical to my g0555 ultimate. I got the resaw fence thrown in when I bought mine. I think they were running a special deal.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I have the Delta 14" and like it. But I have since looked at the Jet 14" and I like it better.
James

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Any idea what the difference is between the G0555 and the G0555P?

other that amps on the 110 and 220

+1 on the G0555's. I have the 0555p, bought back in May. I use a 5/8" blade for resaw and have the add-on riser block. So far, its done everything I've asked of it without problems. I did add a shop-made crank to the tension knob to make tensioning and de-tensioning quicker. Also made a resaw fence of the same design as Bill Clemmon's.

I think the only differences are the 0555p is the Polar Bear Series and is white instead of green, and the motor might be a 1/2 HP bigger. All in all - great bang for the buck.

G0555P_Bandsaw.jpg

View image in gallery

C.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Another vote here for the G0555......mine has a riser block and does everything I ask of it....ps throw away the blade that comes with it and purchase a good one....

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a Delta 14" and it's "okay", but was never my favorite tool. I bought a Rikon 14" (model 10-325) two years ago and absolutely love it. Especially for resawing.

Bill

ehpoole

Ethan
I have a Delta 14" and it's "okay", but was never my favorite tool. I bought a Rikon 14" (model 10-325) two years ago and absolutely love it. Especially for resawing.

Yeah, I know I've loved my 18" Rikon (10-345), but it pretty well blows the OP's budget! Even the 14" blows their stated budget. On the other hand, if the OP can find a really good deal on a quality used bandsaw, then they might be able to get a great 14-18" bandsaw without cutting into their router budget (and I don't want the OP to have to skimp on their new router and gear).

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Once you have narrowed your choices down to a few specific models, you may want to repost here so that others with those very models can give you their own opinions and experiences with those models.

With respect to your hunt, the first thing you need to do is decide what exactly you intend to do with your bandsaw. You also have to decide whether you are limited to 120V or can accommodate 240V motors. For me it was resawing first and freehand scrolling very much a second so I opted for a larger (18+") bandsaw with significant resaw capacity (12") and a good motor (2-1/2HP @ 240V). If you want a good general purpose bandsaw then a traditional 14" bandsaw will serve you well. A 14" bandsaw can do moderate resawing well and still excel at freehand scrolling work, some even have extended resaw height with the addtion of a riser black (and some European style 14" saws, such as the Rikon, come from the factory with 10-13" of resaw capacity). A larger bandsaw, however, will nearly always win out against its smaller brethren when it comes to resawing -- they can handle larger blades with plenty of tension to spare and have larger motors which ensure plenty of power when resawing thick hardwood planks -- especially if resawing extremely hard woods like Purpleheart. However, larger bandsaws do not typically accomodate the smallest blades -- and their barely crowned wheels make tracking narrow blades a bit more difficult versus a smaller bandsaw -- something the 14" and smaller bandsaws excel at.

I am looking at a shop fox at LeNeave in Charlotte that they have posted.

There is another one that is a Jet like this one on Amazon for $375. And then I am also looking at the Grizzly G0555P direct from Grizzly.

I thought shop fox is grizzly just a different color and sold by distributors someone can correct me if I am wrong

I love my Rikon 14" but had I not found one used I was going to get the grizzly but with that being said I do think the Euro type sheetmetal frame saw would be worth the extra money long term

The other thing to factor into the cost of the bandsaw is if you are going to have to upgrade the guides...... The guide upgrade can be almost as much as the saw if you get them from Carter

The rikon guides are very similar to the Carters to begin with

Rikon has come out with a new 14" that look sweet

also the woodslicer blades from highland cut like butter

ehpoole

Ethan
I found a Rikon 18" for $500 on CL, but I would need help getting 'er home.

If you found an 18" Rikon (especially if it's the newer 10-345 model) for $500 that is in good condition then you should grab it now and figure out the logistics later. It is a great saw and Rikon has great customer service. If it is less than 3 years old then it is likely still under warranty (you might ask if they have a copy of their receipt, but Rikon never bothered to ask me for proof of purchase even when I told them mine was nearing the 3 year mark).

Depending upon your shop, you will either want to bolt the Rikon 18" to the floor (it is top heavy and tends to tip towards the front side) or you will want to build an oversized mobile base (oversized as in add 5-6" to the front side to improve stability) by purchasing Woodcraft's mobile base kit and laminating 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood for a very stable base. FYI: The 18" Rikon's motor does require 240V service (A 15-20A receptacle will suffice).

With respect to moving the bandsaw, you can either move it upright and well secured to a trailer OR you can lower it onto its back/spine with suitable blocking to prevent it from rolling over onto its side. During the move, it is best to remove the cast iron table to reduce stress on the trunion AND to help reduce the weight of the saw. It is also a good idea to mount a 3/4" to 1" blade and partially (about 70%) tension the blade for the move -- the partial tension helps to stabilize the saw and spine during the move by placing the spine under tension (this is how they are shipped from the factory). You will likely want 2-3 people (total) -- 2 to move and 1 to stabilize -- to be present for the move; you may even be able to get by with just yourself and one other. The total weight of the saw is approximately 400lbs, even less if you remove the cast iron table and/or trunion assembly. You can even remove the cast iron wheels if you need to further reduce the weight to make it more manable. Because the saw is top heavy, it can be easily 'walked' upright from the front side of the bandsaw.

Best wishes on your purchase should you jump on this deal (just don't wait too long).

WNC_Dave

New User
David
I saw a review on Lumberjocks the other day for the Rigid 14" that is $369 new and he used the Grizzly riser kit that's like $89. Achieved a 12 1/4 resaw capacity. I too am looking for a band saw in the not to distant future and would like one that can do up to 12 inch stock and this one seams to be pretty good for the price. Any idea on how this one compared to the Grizzly mentioned earlier?

Thanks
Dave

ehpoole

Ethan
I saw a review on Lumberjocks the other day for the Rigid 14" that is $369 new and he used the Grizzly riser kit that's like $89. Achieved a 12 1/4 resaw capacity. I too am looking for a band saw in the not to distant future and would like one that can do up to 12 inch stock and this one seams to be pretty good for the price. Any idea on how this one compared to the Grizzly mentioned earlier?

I can't offer a comparison, only the caveat that 3/4HP is extremely light for anywhere near 12" resawing. With a new and very sharp 1/2" blade you can, with some skill, pull off the occassional thick resaw, especially in softer woods, but harder woods and boards more than about 6-8" thick and you will really start to push that Ridgid (or any other 3/4HP bandsaw) hard. Typically you would want at least 1-1/2HP and up for that sort of resawing. It is also handy, when performing that sort of heavy resawing, to have a saw that can accept 3/4" to 1" resaw blades with tension to spare as most 14" saws are limited, practically speaking, to 1/2" max. (despite claims of 3/4", though there are a few exceptions). I always get a little concerned when I hear someone proclaiming 12" of resaw capacity on a 1/2HP to 3/4HP 14" bandsaw! I mean, what are the odds that manufacturers of larger bandsaws would waste money on 2-1/2HP to 5HP motors for that same 12-14" resaw capacity if 3/4HP was adequate? :wink_smil

Like I mentioned earlier, you really have to define what your intended use will be for this saw and base your purchasing decisions accordingly. Each class and size of bandsaw exists for good reason (not just for the sake of more or less money) and each excels at the job for which it was designed. The traditional 14" bandsaw is a great middle-of-the-road choice for general purpose use or the indecisive, but don't choose a 14" bandsaw with a riser block if your goal is to do much heavy resawing (remember, that 3/4HP motor was chosen with the expectation of no more than 6" resaw capacity). Also, for the new buyer, if you opt to install a riser block you will need to purchase longer blades to accommodate the riser block (typically 105" for the traditional 14" bandsaw with riser) -- an easy oversight when the new saw specifies 93-1/2" blades!

I mention this because sometimes when we focus on finding a bargain we can become fixated on theoretical, as opposed to practical, capabilities of whatever new toy... er tool... has captured our interest. A great deal is only a great deal if its the right deal. I speak from personal experience -- and I'm sure I'm not alone -- a moment of reflection on what our needs and expectations are never hurts and if it is the 'right deal' then don't be afraid to jump on it and enjoy your new purchase! At the end of the day the ONLY person who has to be satisfied is YOU.

Whatever you end up deciding, I sincerely hope you enjoy your new bandsaw. If you have any questions whatsoever, there are plenty of us here who will help you with any issues you may have. I don't use my bandsaw every day, but it is a wonderful tool to complement the tablesaw as most any cut that would be either dangerous or impractical on a tablesaw can be completed on the bandsaw. Not to mention, once resawing is introduced into the equation, along with a jointer and planer, you open up a whole new world of dimensioning possibilities. The next time you need 3/8" lumber, and all you have is 4/4, your bandsaw will begin to repay its debt -- resawing is much more efficient than planing away 5/8" of perfectly good wood!

kclark

New User
Kevin
I missed out on the 18" rikon but still have a don't at a 14" rikon for $625 if that is still a good deal.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had an older Bandsaw that was similar to the Ridgid 14" - they're all made in Taiwan - and would not compare it favorably with the Grizzly G0555p which I replaced it with. The Grizzly has roller bearings for upper and lower guides and the Ridgid doesn't. I believe the Ridgid table is stamped aluminum and not cast-iron like the Grizzly. The Ridgid has a non-functional 2" dust port and the Grizzly has a somewhat functional 4" port placed at a much better location. As someone else mentioned the Ridgid is underpowered for resawing.

Also I don't think the Ridgid comes with a fence and the Grizzly does. A good aftermarket fence will cost around $100.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS