Air dried Walnut - 200bf for $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Hi kids, I've been away a while, but an opportunity to pick up some walnut has come up. You old timers on here will remember a year or so ago we tried to help Charlie Wilson get rid of his stash of walnut. Well, Charlie just called me.

He's willing to make a deal. You get 200bf of old old air-dried walnut for a crisp Benjamin Franklin ($100 ). However, you CANNOT pick and choose. He has a large pile, you take the first/closest 200 board feet and hand Charlie a hundred dollar bill. NO picking.

Most is thick 4/4, approaching 5/4, there is some 10/4 but all I saw was warped (beyond my ability to use except for stool legs). I don't mean 4/4 thick, I mean it's not up to 5/4 but it doesn't miss much. You can call it 4/4 with no complaints from Charlie.

If you want more, you can keep pulling from the pile (no picking) and pay 50¢ per bf. He estimates he has between 5,000 and 6,000 board feet.

Charlie is fair when it comes to bad spots in the lumber. If the board is 10' long and the end 2' is worthless, he let's you calculate the footage on 8 feet instead of 10. But you carry the whole board away.

I have nothing to do with this except to post. Charlie is located near Youngsville NC. His cell number is 919-602-2559.

I bought a little wood from him last year and made a lovely planter's desk for my grandson. It turned out quite nice.

I am broke and destitute and can't help beyond posting this contact. (Well, not really, but times are hard.) Good luck.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
This is a good deal folks, as it was @$1/bdft.. Nice stuff, nice guy and he started out with over 15,000 bdft. All air dried for many years.

Thanks Jim :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hey Jim - where have you been hiding and what if anything good, have you been doing with yourself?

A Ben Franklin for 200 BF of 4/4 black walnut is quite a deal...

sawduster

New User
Robert
Boys and girls, this is some purdy wood :icon_thum I got in on the last run and quite frankly figured it ( and he ) were long gone as it was somewhat of an emergency at that time . I hope this means his emergency got solved and all is well . Heckuva nice guy . It looks rough on the surface but the first piece I ran through the planer made me want to wallow in the chips fer awhile ...looked just like chocolate sprinkles :gar-La; Gonna jump on this one again :banana: Even with the cull it is well worth the price :icon_thum

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
If anyone in Greensboro is picking up a load, I'd like to buy some as well: could even run it thru my new little thickness planer if that would help persuade anyone interested in walnut.

Larry

decibel

New User
Patrick
What about the charlotte area ;). How long are these boards I have a 10' trailer but it's single axle and only 10 feet long..

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
I'd be interested in a Raleigh area run. Don't have a trailer but can pull one if there's one to be borrowed. Or I can just chip in for gas :)

eyekode

New User
Salem
Brian,
No trailer here either and I doubt 200 bd ft will fit hanging out of the back of my Rodeo (although I know 100 will :)).

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
maybe we could rent a truck of some sort for the day and split the costs out among us. Looks like at least 4 from the Raleigh area so far

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I have access to a full size cargo van, and can drive for the cost of fuel. Would be great to have some company in the passenger seat....

ednl

ed
Senior User
Gary - I would be happy to ride with you... even help load and unload !!! am free any day or time except Monday, 8 Nov... please let me know ?

ed

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Gary, If ed has shotgun and the van can manage 3 loads :XXfridge:, I'd be willing to follow in my car, help load and unload but I won't be able to do anything till the next weekend.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Soooooo tempting to make the trip from VA!

If I weren't saving Franklins and permission slips for a new table saw and band saw, I would be in in the proverbial New York minute! :confused_ :cry_smile

C.

mxracer

New User
Dan
I'd be interested in getting in/helping out on the Charlotte run.

I have a 6x10 open trailer, a 7x12 enclosed, and if we get enough I also have an 8x22 open trailer that we can take. We could bring home the entire load plus on it I'm sure. :wsmile:
Also have a crew cab truck so depending on how many are going we could share fuel costs and ride together??? I could take up to 3 passengers.

Dan

What about the charlotte area ;). How long are these boards I have a 10' trailer but it's single axle and only 10 feet long..

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
I'd be in for 400 bf to the Charlotte area. Can't go up but would be happy to chip in and help unload. If could let me know. Thanks.
Robb

decibel

New User
Patrick
I'd be interested in getting in/helping out on the Charlotte run.

I have a 6x10 open trailer, a 7x12 enclosed, and if we get enough I also have an 8x22 open trailer that we can take. We could bring home the entire load plus on it I'm sure. :wsmile:
Also have a crew cab truck so depending on how many are going we could share fuel costs and ride together??? I could take up to 3 passengers.

Dan

Man you are a cargo hauling machine ;) I'd be in for at least 200 BF maybe even 400 if I can find somewhere to put it.. I'd chip in for gas/time now if I could can get a permission slip from the wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS