Impressions of the Shop Crawl 2008 - Southside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The Southside crawl was a TON of fun. Lots of good shops to see, lots of fellow woodworkers to talk shop. Once again, we saw every kind of shop: Garage, basement, industrial, craftsman, large, small - and everyone with something unique.

Many, many thanks to the hosts, especially Scott Smith for an awesome saw mill demonstration. That is NOT easy work.

And thanks to Doug for setting this up.

Pictures? Yeah, I got your pictures right here.

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'll echo Bas's setiment and add my own!

What a fun day! Seeing all the shops, meeting all the fellow woodworkers and eating way too much dessert at the Corral!

Hats off to Doug for putting together something that helps make this site such a special place.

Thanks to all the Shop Hosts. I commend you each for the superlative job of cleaning up and showing us what you've got going on. My head is swimming with new toys and projects.

This is my second crawl, and it never ceases to amaze me how clever and unique each of us is.

Thanks,
Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that was my first experience with a Shop Crawl and it was awesome. Very well organized, everybody progressed to the shops without getting lost. Except we lost Trent and his lovely girlfriend somewhere along the way :tinysmile_cry_t: Lunch worked out great even though it was at GC...:roll::roll: I got a full belly fast :icon_thum
I learned something at every shop that will make my woodworking better.
I know what my dreams will be about tonight...a hybrid shop. I would like to take GeorgeL's shiny, huge machinery, place it in JimmyC's awesome huge shop space. Accessories it with all the jigs and innovative features found in Bladeburner's and Dan Bowman's shops. Drop it all on my secluded, hard to find back 3 acres...with my beer fridge. And have Scott's swing mill and kiln parked out behind it all. That would be sweet :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Dave, Dave, wake up you are dreaming:rotflm:. I had a great time meeting the members that I hadn't met and talking with the ones I already have met. Thanks Doug and all of the hosts for a great day. Also thanks Pete, Jeremy, And Mike for allowing me to tag along with the Charlotte crew. Oh and I forgot to mention, The noise Bas made when my beverage dripped condensate on DaveO's table saw. Priceless!!!!

Last edited:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bas- Great pictures !

I would like to thank everybody for a great day, once again it was great to meet a bunch of you.

Doug - Great job bother, you pulled it off again !

One of the main things missing from my shop is a bathroom mirror, now if I can only talk GeorgeL out of his tablesaw top, and figure a way to mount it, I'll be all set :gar-La;.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Man... that was a great crawl. I enjoyed the shops and hanging out with all the NCWWers. Thanks to Doug for doing such a great job. Thanks to the hosts for having us over. Thanks to McRabbit for the cards! I saw a lot of cool ideas today!! :icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Man... that was a great crawl. I enjoyed the shops and hanging out with all the NCWWers. Thanks to Doug for doing such a great job. Thanks to the hosts for having us over. Thanks to McRabbit for the cards! I saw a lot of cool ideas today!! :icon_thum

I've got to second the thanks to Rob for the cards, it'was great meeting you .

J

jeff...

I was gonna come but I thought I better work on the honey-do instead - so painted some on the porch ceiling :wsad:

What great pictures Mr. Bas thanks - but no swing mill pics?

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
My 1st crawl and had a wonderful time. A big thanks to Doug for the organization, to all that opened their shops for us all to get more ideas and to Rob for the cards. I have pics and will load later.

I realized on the way home that I live no more than 15 miles from every single persons shop on the crawl. I didn't realize that before. Now I know where all the big equipment is that I don't have room for and if I need a jig, bladeburner is about 2 miles away.

Had a great time getting to know a few new people and catching up with others.

tv

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great crawl, Folks!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Scott's sawmill demonstration was awesome, but I still can't figure out how one wouldn't get hurt with that big spinning blade in front of me, unguarded and and barely inches from my thigh???!!!:dontknow::dontknow:

All of the hosts certainly provided more entertainment than one day could provide. A various gracious bunch to allow this pack onto their property!!:gar-Bi

I have to admit that the LOML asked what the drool all over my shirt was all about!!! :tool::tool::tool: and more beautiful :tool:'s.

Thanks also to Doug who succeeded again in keeping us all on track and the great coordination!

Thanks all!

Wayne

Glennbear

Glenn
I was gonna come but I thought I better work on the honey-do instead - so painted some on the porch ceiling :wsad:

What great pictures Mr. Bas thanks - but no swing mill pics?

Luckily Jeff my camera did not start messing up, (defective operator :roll:) until after I had taken a few pics at Scott's. I echo what other's have said, a great time and a lot of new ideas to come back with me to VA :gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I too had a lot of fun, even though I was not able to join the rest of the crawl.

Many, many thanks to Dave and Tom for off-bearing - that helped to speed up the demo considerably.

My only regret is that there was not time for me to visit with everybody that attended; it's the people that make this site so great (although the cool tools and equipment are a not-to-distant second...).

I meant to offer the oak that we milled to anybody that wanted to take it. George grabbed one board for his son's school project, but there were a couple of 1 x 5's that had some nice spalting in places...

When I'm ready to mill some of the "big boys" that were near the sawmill, I'll be sure to let y'all know in case any volunteers want to come out and offload! Let's see... an 8/4, 20" wide board from that 20' red oak log will only weigh around 350 lbs... maybe I can entice Dozer to come out - that way I wouldn't need anybody else's help! :rotflm:

Scott

PS for Wayne... regarding "Scott's sawmill demonstration was awesome, but I still can't figure out how one wouldn't get hurt with that big spinning blade in front of me, unguarded and and barely inches from my thigh???!!!:dontknow::dontknow:"

I'll be that there are more inches of separation between my body and the blade on the sawmill, then there are between your fingers and your tablesaw/bandsaw blade...:gar-Bi Seriously, I removed the blade guard before the demo so that I could doublecut some wide boards. Unfortunately we didn't get far enough into the log to do anything really wide.

SS

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
Ditto all the previous posts what more can I say. Love the cards. Thank yoou Doug and the hosts. GREAT GREAT day.
rita

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Hate I missed it. Pictures are good, but whose shop is whose? Scott's place is pretty obvious with the tractors and the mill, but I am stumped at the rest. ;-)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone that attended today and especially the hosts. Archie I am sorry we didn't get to your shop I tried to send the package to you twice. I must have messed up the address.:dontknow:

The saw mill demo was great. I would have tried the mill, but did not want to sepnd the rest of the day soaked.

Got to see a lot of jigs at Joe's. Glad I asked want kind of WWing he did (A lot of boxes).

George (and Alek's) place is easily the cleanest shop I have seen. As I said if I ever got hurt there the docs could perform surgery in there.

Dan some welcome to the group eh? Liked the his and hers places. My wife liked that too. Maybe thats how I'll get a separate shop.:eusa_thin The EZ Smart system was cool too.

Jimmy: All that space....WOW (and a urinal!) :rotflm: Way cool and the bicycles were awesome.

Dave: If I had been shown pics of your shop and not been told it was yours I would have guessed right. The ti-dyed hanging, the cat clock with the skull, the beer (not to mention the tunes which would show up in a pic).

I enjoyed myself and all your company. I do it for that. Now it is time to go dormant on crawls till 2009. Maybe we can do the same route with all the shops we missed this time. (MikeH, Archie, Rocker, TV, Bigdog72...) :icon_thum

Doug

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Right on with what everyone else already said ... it was a great crawl and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for everything ...

PS - I'll post my pictures later.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Thanks to all the hosts and thanks to Doug for coordinating.

Scott, you are the "big equipment" guy. Love how you off-handedly mentioned this planer you have with a 25 horse upper and a 35 horse lower motor. That is Tim Taylor territory!!

Mr. Scharle, we could have spent all day looking at all your jigs.

GeorgeL, we will not report you regarding making your son shine all that cast iron.

Dan, I have a feeling your wife had her pottery barn first, didn't she?

Jimmy, you have been talking about your shop for the last six months like it was an empty barn full of boxes. You have a neat place!!

DanO, now we know where all the inspiration comes from. You have a great workspace.

It was great visiting with old and new friends. Can't wait for the next one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS