Impressions of the Shop Crawl 2008 - Southside

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Another great time :). I'm glad I made the trip, and thanks to Doug for organizing, McRabbit for the cards, Scott for the demo, all the hosts for letting us check out their shops, and most importantly Dave, for the beer :gar-Bi.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hate I missed it. Pictures are good, but whose shop is whose? Scott's place is pretty obvious with the tractors and the mill, but I am stumped at the rest. ;-)

Travis,
Just put your mouse pointer on the picture and the jpg file comes up.

There are 4 shops in Bas's photo's JC-JiimyC, DO-DaveO, GL- george L, and SS- SCSmith 42.
I hope this helps.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
BTW, since SteveW missed the crawl (we missed you) we are down to 3 members that have been on all the crawls...Tom Ferone, Jeremy and I. I may fall out if Rob runs one in the mountains though. Glad he drove all the way for this one. Glennbear from VA, Trent from Wilmington, Jeremy, Mike, and Pete from Charlotte, Tracy from Salisbury, and McRabbet from the mountains...gas crises what gas crises.:gar-La; Sincerely thanks for coming all that way. Glad I got to meet more of you.

Doug

J

jeff...

I see Scott took it easy on you guys today with a little log. So who ran the swing mill other than Scott? I see everyone was standing WAY BACK :rotflm: Was anyone brave enough ??? I bet Jimmy was...

T

toolferone

Well my beach trip ended early do to rain, so LOML said I could go on the crawl. She made my day! My first thanks is to her for watching the kids all day so I could make my 3rd shop crawl! My other thank you's are to Doug and all the graciuos shop hosts. I love these crawls!! I get great ideas at each shop and from talking with everybody.

P.S. What is with 2 pictures of my bald head!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So who ran the swing mill other than Scott? Was anyone brave enough ???

:nah::nah::nah: But I got close enough to get some saw dust inside my shirt :swoon: It looked like a lot of work, nothing that I wanted to do at 9:00 in the morning. I would like to give it a try sometime, when I don't have my nice clothes on :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Well my beach trip ended early do to rain, so LOML said I could go on the crawl. She made my day! My first thanks is to her for watching the kids all day so I could make my 3rd shop crawl! My other thank you's are to Doug and all the graciuos shop hosts. I love these crawls!! I get great ideas at each shop and from talking with everybody.

You're Bald?:dontknow::rotflm::rotflm:

GeorgeL

New User
George
WOW! What a GREAT time!!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Alex and I really appreciated everyones hospitality and enjoyed seeing all the great shops.

A big thank you to Scott Smith for the sawmill demo and the beautiful piece of oak. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

A HUGE thank you to Doug for organizing all of this. Good job Doug! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Here are the photos I shot. I forgot to take picture of my own shop with everyone here :BangHead: so I took a few when I got home.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1353

George

Glennbear

Glenn

Sorry Tom !!! :embaresse Photo layout is not one of my stronger skills, I removed one :wsmile:

J

jeff...

:nah::nah::nah: But I got close enough to get some saw dust inside my shirt :swoon: It looked like a lot of work, nothing that I wanted to do at 9:00 in the morning. I would like to give it a try sometime, when I don't have my nice clothes on :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dave it just ain't no fun if you don't wear it, breath it and taste it - it gets in your blood then and you become addicted... Start looking at trees a whole new way.

Glad you guys had fun - good times / good friends / good pictures and I even seen a beer so you know it had to be good...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I had to miss the crawl because one of my daughters was due in at 1300. But I was happy to see so many new faces although I didn't have a chance to personally meet very many new folks, I want to extend an invitation to one and all to drop by.
I also want to hand Doug a well earned "ATTA BOY"! Doug, you must have been a cat herder in a previous life!

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Incredible shop crawl! It was really nice to meet more of the NCWW members from near and far. Kudos to all the shop hosts, my hats off for a wonderful experience:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. Doug, once again, a fabulous job! Looking forward to the next event!!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Rob

New User
Rob
I had a great time, learned a lot, and got some ideas. Thanks Doug for setting this up, and thanks to everyone who opened their shops to us. I'll see about getting my pictures up tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out what I was looking at in this picture.

crawl092008_do3.JPG

J

jeff...

I had a great time, learned a lot, and got some ideas. Thanks Doug for setting this up, and thanks to everyone who opened their shops to us. I'll see about getting my pictures up tomorrow.

crawl092008_do3.JPG

Peach paint on the floor? :rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

crawl092008_do3.JPG

We'll have a contest. But probably the same as what DaveO is looking at in this one:
crawl092008_gl6.JPG

The first is my shockingly small jointer ( after being at GeorgeL's shop)

The second is me looking for dust in GeorgeL shop...I had to concentrate hard :eek:
I was inspired and humbled all at the same time. It was a great time.

Rob

New User
Rob
I just uploaded all my photos, some showed up in the Shop crawl gallery, but some went into my own Gallery. Don't know why. Enjoy.

M

McRabbet

It was a great day, indeed. We all had loads of fun and appreciated the efforts of all of the hosts and Doug's organizing skills. I've uploaded a bunch of pictures into a special Gallery called the Southside Raleigh Shop Crawl 9-27-08 so you all can enjoy. I'd suggest that you go to the bottom of the first thumbnail page and run the Sort function because our photo gallery software puts pictures in reverse order -- just use the defaul settings and they should come up with Scott Smith's shop first. I've tried to identify each shop in the titles. Great time and great shops!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
It was a pleasure to have been able to make it for my first shop crawl and put more faces with names.:icon_thum I had a great time and got a lot of ideas that will hopefully help me when I try to rearrange and maybe expand my existing work space. There was also a lot of good scenery and conversations to fill the ride time between shops. :thumbs_up

I'd like to thank LOML for agreeing to watch both kids so I could go. Also thanks to JimmyC for letting me ride along with his party so I wasn't hopelessly lost and alone wondering where the heck I was and how I was getting to the next stop or home for that matter.:icon_thum

And lastly thanks to everyone for opening up their shops, sharing their ideas and love of all types of woodworking and DaveO thanks for the cold beer!! :eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors