work in progress, 1/6th 1890's navy steam launch built to navy plans

tghsmith

tghs
User
after several failed sand casting attempts ( the core for the water passages is just to small for the material) decided to switch to a method I have done 40years in the past.. lost wax casting or for obvious reasons "investment" casting... plus there are many jewelry sized fitting in multiples that need to be made.. the madness goes on..

Attachments

• IMGP0206.JPG
    IMGP0206.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • cp12.jpg
    cp12.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMGP0210.JPG
    IMGP0210.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 91

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Nothing short of absolutely astonishing!!
Truly an "every tool in the box" project and every skill to match.

WOW.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I love looking at model ships. I spent hours and hours in the Smithsonian when they had a full room on display. Gone now. They museums are now full of placards and backgrounds and half the "stuff" is no longer on display.

Check out Dr. Jane, Moving the bones.

tghsmith

tghs
User
I went down the lost wax casting rabbit hole!! about three week ago I had a "posterior vitreous detachment" in my right eye,, kind of like a big nasty floater that's in the field of vision,,(tires you out) hasn't gotten worse and seems a little better the last few days.. hope to get back to things this weekend..

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
tghs, I wish a speedy recovery for you. Your build thread has been fascinating.

Last edited:

tghsmith

tghs
User
a little update, eye is getting better, been working on the figures for the boat,, so far we have BM1 coxswain, a LT officer and his wife, a seaman crewman,, in the works is a motorman 2nd class that will have servo driven arms to work the shift lever and the throttle valve,, my order of powdered wood stain has arrived and maybe some of the woodwork will get sanded, scraped, stained and varnished this week..weather is geeting cooler and the casting runs will start again also..

Attachments

• IMGP0071.JPG
    IMGP0071.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMGP0072.JPG
    IMGP0072.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMGP0034.JPG
    IMGP0034.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 42

tghsmith

tghs
User
mixing powdered stains today to get the four needed colors, things look a little yellow but the spar varnish that was used during this time frame was a deep amber compared to modern finishes,, I'll be top coating with a clear finish..

Attachments

• IMGP0086.JPG
    IMGP0086.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMGP0087.JPG
    IMGP0087.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMGP0088.JPG
    IMGP0088.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors