Woodburner Shop Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodburner

New User
Mike
I’ve finally found some time to post an update on my new shop. Last March, my shop burned to the ground ( http://thewoodwhisperer.com/a-devastating-shop-fire/).

IMG_00621.JPG

View image in gallery

My original shop was approximately 400 square feet (20’X20’), with an unattached storage shed (10’X16’) at the rear that I used for lumber and mower storage. Although the storage shed was salvageable, I decided to tear it down and expand my shop to accommodate the extra storage area and provide an area for finishing. I also decided to add more ceiling clearance (went from 8’ to 10’) and add a second story for a future office/work area. The new structure’s footprint is now 20’ X 34’.

I kept the original shop’s footprint as my main work area and then split the addition into two areas – one for assembly/finishing and the other for lumber and mower storage. The upstairs is currently used for open-storage, which eliminates almost all of my former clutter.

The new shop took me approximately two months to construct. Since my pesky job prevented me from doing it all myself, I enlisted the help of a few contracting friends that I knew who were hurting for work. As tough as it was having someone else build my shop, it gave me the time to go on a MAJOR shopping spree for the new equipment and tools.:banana:

Once the shop was dried-in, I immediately started fabricating storage cabinets and workstations. I made a variety of jigs and tool housings (router cabinet/table, “V”-drum sander, vacuum press, etc.) on the fly as I needed them for fabrication. To keep my shop versatile, most of my equipment (and base cabinets) are on wheels. I decided to add a through-the-wall heat pump and PLENTY of lighting in my main shop area for better comfort than I previously had (best decisions that I made). The ultimate splurge I made on the shop was to wire it up for satellite TV, broadband internet and surround sound (all interconnected). I now watch my woodworking videos and podcasts to my heart’s content… no more interruptions when “Desperate Housewives” or “Entertainment Tonight” is on!

Ten months after the fire, I’m in the final stages of finishing my master bath remodeling project (the fire destroyed the mahogany cabinets that I had just completed and was about to install) and putting the final touches on my shop (interior trim, etc.). I’m finally at the point where I can start planning for the “fun” projects and try desperately to justify the time spent in the shop. In retrospect, there are only two things that I definitely would have done different in rebuilding the shop… add under-slab duct for dust collection and power to my table saw and add a restroom.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
looks like a very nice shop you have there. a long spouted funnel through the wall and pipe with schedule 40 pvc into the ground will work as a urinal. seriously though could you install an upstairs restroom on an outside wall and insulate your pipes and drain. i have seen this done with everything built into a vertical trough, insulated, vinyl sided and trimmed out. just thinking of a way to do it without going through the bottom floor. we had to install some duct work out through a basement wall and up the outside before and into the third floor of a building. we added a little shingle roof on top and just looked like someone sided in a flue. steve

Woodburner

New User
Mike
Bobby g – The porch was my wife’s idea… Although I’ll never admit it to her, it was a great idea aesthetically and has worked perfectly for sanding and finishing when the weather’s nice.

Steviegwood – Unfortunately, my septic system is already at its limit… I would have to put in another (very expensive) system to accommodate the shop. Trust me though… I’ve considered the funnel plumbing!

MrAudio815 – I use the built-in casters frequently… it offers the greatest flexibility for a small shop. Fortunately, I was able to obtain top-of-the-line casters at an extreme discount at an auction (less than $1/caster!). The two rolling cabinets that I built are the same height as my out-feed table, which allows me to obtain maximum assembly areas.

Once I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Powermatic saw several years ago, it was a no-brainer to replace the fire damaged one with another Powermatic. Prior to the first Powermatic, I had completely worn out two saws (an old Craftsman and a Ryobi BT3000).

All others… thanks for the kind remarks!

RickC

New User
Rick
Very nice! What a great opportunity to take something very bad and turn it into the opportunity of a lifetime. I also agree - the porch is great and you will probably find yourself taking many a break on it! Or even just sitting in a rocker and thinking a production problem through in your head. :icon_cheers

bwat

New User
Bill
Very nice!!!:icon_thum

I see lots of natural "tree urinals" in the woods behind the shop.:gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!!

What a marvelous looking shop. (I can only wish!)

Thanks for sharing the pics and all of build detail.:eusa_danc

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS