The alternative life of a 6 x 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After cleaning the shop last Saturday, I craved messing it up again. But lacking funds to buy some wood that inspired me I looked around the shop for something to make something out of. Well I wasn't looking to good and tripped over a 30" long piece of cedar 6 x 6, that I had saved from an arbor project a few years ago. I had planned to turn it, but seeing as I suck on the lathe, it was just in the way.
I resawed it into 7/8" boards and jointed and planned then down to 3/4". Glued them together to get the width I needed. Cut the DTs on the Leigh jig. Ripped and glued some scrap curly maple for the top panel. And band sawed out the bottom skirt. I am finishing, on the outside only, with Waterlox original S/F, and may top coat with super blond shellac.
I would appreciate critique on the design, DTs, skirt, overall form. It is about 10" tall, 15" long and 9" deep. Also I think that it needs something more like a lock or hasp on the front, again I would appreciate y'alls opinions. So let me have it:-D

CopyofCedarbox006.jpg

CopyofCedarbox008.jpg

Thanks for looking and offering your critiques:icon_thum

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I like it, but in a way it seems like it should be lined with felt or something. Lines look good, moldings crisp, gorgeous. Did the finish go on even across the top? Picture looks like finish is uneven on the lip of the box not the top.

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Dave,

You have got to be the best user of scrap wood I have ever seen. The box is great. I really like the foot / molding as it really sets off the rest of the box. Since the DT's were maching cut, being a traditionalist, I won't comment on them other than to say they look great. The curly really jumps out against the red color of the cedar. I'm like Travis, I think a nice felt lining would really make this a standout.

MIke

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Scrap wood!!!?????

What a fine job!!! How did you cut the curly-Q's at the bottom. Scroll saw or bandsaw? They look pretty tight for a bandsaw (unless you have really narrow blade). Certainly looks very unique! Good contrast of wood for the top!

Great work,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Travis the finish is still wet, that the best way to get the wet look:lol: :lol: :lol: I still have more to do on the finish, I am on coat 2 of the Waterlox, a few more to go, then I'll judge the depth and add some shellac if needed.

Mike, I know I cheat, but what do you think about the spacing, I think there are to many myself?

I had though about a lining for the inside also. I have some green flocking material left over from another project. But that would defeat the cedar smell inside. Which is not really important 'cause it isn't big enough to keep anything but the tiniest unmentionables and Emmert vice corsets in it. I will give that some serious thought.
Thanks for y'all comments:-D

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Dave,

If you went with less DT's, they would have to be bigger and I don't think that would have looked good at all. As for my taste, I think what you have is fine. Just kidding about the machine cut DT's, maybe if I had a DT machine I would like it. I think the variable spacing you did makes it look more in line with what a hand cut design would look like. Looks like a keeper in my book.

Mike

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Dang Dave,
Looks awsome,, do you have the D4? I am thinking long and hard about getting the new one they have out, if it will make up for the cost. That box looks awsome. If you want a clasp there is a fine woodworking magazine(#179) that has boxes with handmade clasps on them,,really makes them look awsome. If you dont have it I think a little birdie can scan it tonight and send it to you in one's and zero's. Do you have anymore of the wood left. A small lift out tray would be awsome for jewlry, that could be lined or made out of the the maple to tie in the inside of the box too. I love the dovetails, with the grain its an eye teaser. Awsome job,,top notch. Let me know about the jig, if you think its cost productive, setup time ect. Be blessed.

Last edited:

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Dave,

Forgot to mention something about a hasp or sumpin. Did u see the article in FWW on boxes and the different types of wooden catches and such? Kinda ironic. I made a box with a clasp of sorts last fall and not long after that the article came out and I told my wife that someone had a spy camera in my shop. LOL I will take a pic and post it so it will give you some idea as to what I am talking about.

Mike

clowman

Clay Lowman
Pretty tight Dave! Now, my suggestions. How about a mirror on the inside of the top? Maybe a handle on the front of the lid. Maybe not, would have to put it up there and see how it looks. I like it!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have thought about a handle on the lid and really thought hard about making a clasp like the ones in the FWW article..which I have sitting in front of me right now.

Mike, I would love to see and hear about how you made your clasp.

Michael, I have the D1600, the little brother of the D4, it is essentially the same , but shorter (16") and the guide fingers are one piece. That might give me problems with inlayed DTs :crybaby2: :crybaby2: , but other than that I love it. First DT out of the box were dead on and I've haven't had a bad set yet. Fine jig IMHO:icon_thum

Mike, I was thinking about larger tails and fewer pins, but keeping the pins the same size (the min. 3/8") I see many a 6-8" drawer sidewith only 3 pins:eusa_thin

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Dave,
The box looks good. Just offering a suggestion, don't want to insult you. I would suggest that on the very bottom of you base rail cut, you don't start your curve so sharp. If the box gets bumped at this spot, the very bottom of the curve will be vulnerable to break off. A very fine job though. Your proportions looks right on. I noticed on your pictures you have a craftsman radial arm saw. I have one exactly like it. Around a 74 model I think. I switched mine to 220 hoping for a smidgen of more power, but it still is a little weak. Also noticed you have a beautiful little girl. I have a 6 and 4 year old. I built them both a vanity for chritstmas and my wife painted them up. They are very good now at making clown faces, not so good at keeping the lipsticks where they are suppose to be. If you would like the plans, I can try to post a pic. I also drew up a disney version, but did not like it as good as the ones I built.

kbcrafter

New User
Kevin
Hi Dave,
Fantasic looking project. You do have a way with scrap wood. I hope I can get some projects done with the pieces from my work.
Great job
Kevin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Buddy, If I was gonna get insulted I wouldn't have asked for the critiques. I learn from y'all opinions. I too was worried about the sharpness of the cuts on the base rail, and the grain is going in the way that it would break the easiest. But it's just a box and shouldn't get handled roughly so I went for it. Plus I had a heck of a time coming up with a design that had good flow...so once I found one I liked I didn't question it.

Thanks for the complement on my daughter, she is the most beautiful person I've ever seen, and the recipient of many of my projects. I would love to see the pics of your vanities. My wife is all about cute painted furniture...check out my gallery.

Dave

Monty

New User
Monty
Another awesome box! Looks like the proportions and style of a full-size chest - nice work!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Beautiful work, Dave. You could line the bottom of the box with a lot of different soft fabrics like velours, ultrasuedes, and the like. All kinds of suitable fabrics in the stores for sewing. I just cut thick card stock or matte board slightly undersized, spray it with adhesive, stick on my fabric, miter the corners and glue the foldovers to the back of the card stock. You want a nice press fit but not so tight as to buckle the card. Just don't use real leathers as the leather will react with jewelry in some instances and may discolor when in contact with the cedar oils.

Really a striking project. I love the strength of the dovetails and the polished elegance of the curly maple. A most unusual combination of woods but one I will have to consider in the feature. Good work!:icon_thum

T

toolferone

Dave the size is perfect. If you apply the "Golden Rectangle" formula of 1.618. 9 x 1.618 = 14.56 and your length is 15" did you do that on purpose? I love all the lines, joints and bottom. I only have one other thought. The 3/4" thickness might be to much for a small box like that. I bet 5/8" or 1/2' would have looked great, but just my .02 cents worth.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, you caught me...I did apply the Golden Ratio. I often use it to determine sizes of projects I am working on, and they tend to look right.
I would agree about the thickness, but I was unsure about the stability of the wood because it came from a badly checked and splitting 6 x 6. In the end I could have gone thinner, I resawed one of the original boards to make the bottom panel (1/4' thick) But when cutting the wood initially I started at 7/8" and didn't have the heart to plane it down to less than 3/4". As it is I just about filled my trash can separator.

Thanks for everyone's comments, and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS