Some people shouldn't work on........

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A while back, I picked up a used Sears air compressor from an individual who was selling due to no 220 outlet in his new house. Price was VERY cheap. Figured what was said wasn't the whole story. Today took the power washer and cleaned it up, looks good except for some rust on the motor, which a dollar can of spray paint from WalMart will take care of. Plugged it in, and it started pumping, but I could hear air leaking. Took cover off, and found discharge line from compressor was loose. Tightened it up and it slowly built up to 120 PSI. I have an almost identical compressor, so I knew this wasn't right. Took the head off it, and the top of one piston had little indentions all over it. Looked at the reed valves, and realized that the discharge valve on this piston was missing. The limiting cover for this valve was in place, but no reed below it. Valve seat showed some damage also. Took head, and using a piece of sandpaper, flattened it like you would a plane sole, which cleaned up the valve seat. From my spare parts repository (my name is junquecol), I retrieved an old head from another brand of compressor, which had the needed reed valve. Took all of the reed valves out, and polished them on sandpaper. Reassembled the whole thing, and it pumped up to 120 PSI just like it should. Drained the crankcase oil, it was nasty. Took a little mineral spirits and swished them though crankcase. Then I added fresh compressor oil. Fired it up again, and then drained water from tank. Surprisingly there was very little, and it was clear. No rust, or oil - both good signs. Fabricated a new tension adjusting bolt as the old one had stripped threads. Belt is new, but was misaligned on the pulleys. Moved belt to correct alignment, and aligned the pulleys. Now she purrs like a kitten. Gotta check and see if a broken part of the belt guard is available. If it isn't, then I will make one. Not bad for a couple hours of work. Evidently previous owner tried to "fix " it, but shouldn't have. Wait, because he goofed up repairs, I got compressor very CHEAP. Bruce

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good job, good diagnoses and good repairs.

I never really got that name, now I see Junque Collector.

I have an old friend who thinks people should pass a test and get a license to own a hammer. He says more furniture is ruined by some incompetent fool with a hammer than anything else. I guess the same goes for machinery.

Glennbear

Glenn
It pays to have the disposeaphobia (fear of throwing anything away) disease.Tony

Congratulations on the compressor salvage Bruce, thanks for sharing the story. Thank you Tony for giving me the proper name of the disease that apparently afflicts quite a few of us :rotflm:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Having just watched an episode of "Hoarders - Buried Alive" with LOML last night, I'm scared that some of us may be tool hoarders here. She even said during the show that I have hoarding tendencies. I said that they were tools and they just don't apply to hoarding, these things mean something to me and are useful. Right as I got done saying that, this guy on there said the same thing about his stuff which was clothing and other things he bought. :eek: So I think I'm gonna live in denial for awhile.

Oh and congrats on the score!:icon_thum

Dragon

New User
David
Exactly why I have a 10X30 mini storage busting at the seams. I just can't bring myself to get rid of anything that might be useful someday. Besides, where ya gonna get nails and screws when everything goes belly up and there's no hardware stores anymore?:rolf:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good score, Bruce. I like those folks who'd rather sell something cheap, or better yet, give/throw it away, than tinker on it.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Bruce, is there anything you can't fix? I don't think there is. Congrats on the "new" acquisition.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce, do you have as many compressors as you do tablesaws? ;-)
No, I have more compressors than table saws. Some I bought, some I inherited, an some were given to me as "non working," but not any more. My first compressor was home made, using the AC compressor from an automobile. You could backseat the suction valve and use it as a vacuum pump. Made a bunch of money with that little compressor, mainly servicing air conditioning units on cars when R-12 was a buck for a can. Remember those days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS