Should I put on new tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Naturally, since I just decided to keep the Jet - a tire came off today. The saw is about 3 years old. It appears the tire is rubber. The tire is a strip, not a circular. The ends are perfect, so is it possible this was be glued in place, not stretched over the wheel? The tires seem to be in relatively good shape, but I noticed when I bend the tire, there are lots of little slits in it.

Since one is already off, should I just replace them both? Looks like Woodcraft has one in stock (Carter) so I could pick one up on the way to dinner tonight...

manfre

New User
Manfre
Double check the quantity in the box. Carter tires are sold one per box. Rockler and a few other brands sell a pair in the box for a few dollars cheaper than the single Carter tire.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'm with Joe. I tend to replace pairs in pairs. Saves on frustration and time in the long run I think.
If one failed the other should have the same wear, unless there was a cause for the one to fail.
(BTW - great problem to have had, which band saw to keep! Congrats)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check Rockler, Hartville, Klingspor, and Peachtree for tires. Carter tires are WAY OVER PRICED! Plus for the 14" saws they are only 7/8" wide while the originals and other brands are 1" wide. Carter is basically selling you their name at an inflated price. Haste makes waste, and convienence costs! Your tire broke at the "weld."

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I looked around. Rockler only has 14" tires. The Sulphur Grove tires (that were recommended on Woodnet) are only 1 1/4" wide - my jet tires are 1 1/2" wide. Nothing on Amazon that was 1 1/2" wide for a 16" wheel. Checked Hartville and Peachtree, as well. So I picked up the Carter tire from Woodcraft.

The instructions sure make installation sound easy. Heat tire in soapy water. Slide onto wheel. Easy! Well, 4 clamps, 3 screwdrivers and 2 swear words later, the tire is on. Ok, probably more than 2 swear words.

And I was able to finish what I was working on today :>

Now I just need to order another :(

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
New tire installation?

Seems like the directions are different for every bandsaw and every tire. Some wheels seem to require extensive cleaning. Don't some use glue or cement when putting on tire? And others are rounded, while others tend to be flat. Seems like research is needed before rushing into a purchase. My bandsaw tires have lasted for 8 years, not sure if I should get some on hand for the inevitable, or wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS