Seeding Bermuda grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I need to overseed my yard as sections are getting thin.

What's the proper procedure (and timing) for overseeding with Bermuda ?

I've read that the soil temps need to be above 70F (month of May here ?), mix the seed with sand and set the slit seeder very shallow (1/4" depth). Frequent water of course.

Also, is there a recommended variety for the Raleigh area ? Some online retailers are pushing new, more cold-tolerant varieties (e.g. Mohawk, La Prima and PrimaXD Yukon) since the Raleigh area is toward the edge of the growing region. Would these greatly improve overwintering ?I'm not looking for a golf-course quality lawn. Just something for the kids to run around on, control mild erosion in sandy soil and low maintenance. It does need to be resistant to abuse because I have a sand-burr problem that's probably going to take a couple years to control.

-Mark

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
I have bought bermuda sod several times from Super Sod (located at the Raleigh Farmers Market 836-0492)
They have always been very helpful with questions on when to fertilize, what to use, etc. You may want to try and give them a call

Gonzalo

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
It depends on your expectations and how much effort you can and will put into the lawn. If you want the highest quality and are willing to do what it takes, Riviera and Princess are great cultivars. Yukon is good too. If you just want a green cover, and don't want to spend your weekends taking care of your lawn, just about any cultivar will do. Even good old common. In fact, if you manage common bermuda to a high level, it will provide excellent quality.I wouldn't worry too much about cold tolerance in Raleigh. Although we're in the "transition zone", bermudagrass actually grows much further north, into southern Indiana in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS