Scratch/chip-resistant finish options?

awldune

Sam
User
My house has a window bench that my dog loves to sit on. This has been hard on the paint!

i-wRGgn8z-X4.jpg

I imagine this is not an unusual problem, so I wondered what suggestions people might have. My first thought is to put some sort of vinyl tile there, but the wife says "no way."

Is there some sort of ultra-hard enamel paint that would be up to the task? This would also maybe help with the door/window trim everywhere.

Declawing the dog has also been ruled out 😅

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Sam - Durability can be a chellenge in applications like this. I'd ask at knowledgeable paint retailer if they have such super-scratch-resistant coatings. I'd be surprised if anything can really substain that level of scrtch in the the long term. To me the question is how ofter you repaint, not whether you need to. A durable cover like a laminate would work - and can be painted to match. Use white so the scratched through areas don't highlight as much as wood does. of course that might get nixed by others in teh house. Laminate is a very thiin option though.

BTW I have the same question because my cat litterally climbs the jambs & casing when he is 'zooming' - and so certain door frames looked quite clawed.

Whatever you do, I would advise a product that can be touched up or repainted. Do not use something like a polyurethane that stays as separate layers and does not really bond between coats. Enamel paints are a good start.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Block it off so the dog can’t get on it. Repair the paint. Add one coat of polycarbonate (a.k.a. Lexan). Let the dog on it. Works to stop cat climb disease, but you have to heat it to bend it around the jam and keep the climbers from getting behind the barrier.

This is a proven process for me when I had a cat. No more. Never again. Same for a dog.

awldune

Sam
User
Consider a slab of Corian or marble. They will likely be a better option than wood.
I like this idea, but the area is too big to source as a sink cutout. Is it possible to get a "drop" piece that would match these dimensions? 12x58.5''

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Custom make a thin cushion pad that can be re-covered from time to time. I think that window ledge is a favorite perch for the dog. Make it comfortable and inviting. It may be a good watchdog station.

Jack A.

Jack
User
Custom make a thin cushion pad that can be re-covered from time to time. I think that window ledge is a favorite perch for the dog. Make it comfortable and inviting. It may be a good watchdog station.

This. Or convince your wife that something like removable vinyl is the right choice. From your OP, I get the feeling that you aren't trying to get the dog to stop going there, right? In that case, the recommendations for hard, slippery surfaces are not what you want. They will make it uncomfortable and possibly dangerous for the dog. What you want is something that is relatively easy to remove but also safe and comfortable for the dog. Something like a stair tread carpet could work well there, depending on the width of that ledge.

awldune

Sam
User
The dog will not be dissuaded from getting on there in the long term. We don't really mind it. She can be shut out of the kitchen while paint is drying, etc.

Some sort of low-pile carpet could be an idea.

WallNutz

Bryan
User
What about something like Flor tiles? Lots of choices and you can replace individual tiles as needed. You can get really low pile options, pre-cut tiles to fit curves and such, and they come with “stickers” that hold things in place.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear, Flor is a brand: www.flor.com

Last edited:

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
well, after you properly repair and repaint the area… you might just make a larger platform that could be attached to the windowsill area somehow, that is big enough for a dog bed. Put a low profile dog bed up there for your dog to hang out in. From the photo, It looks like it only has to step up to get on it. no wonder it’s such an inviting place for her/him to hang out.
Good luck and send us photos of the ultimate outcome.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
After repainting it, could you cover it with a piece of the rubber floor matting that Lowe's sells? They used to have some 2" wide runner material they sold by the foot.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
We have lots of cats and I didnt want to cut a hole in the wall or door for a cat door, so I put one in a window. I added this shelf to give them a landing spot for entry/exit.

You could make something similar using your choice of floor cover. Protects the window ledge and gives the puppy a little bigger lounge space. Easy to remove if you sell home later.

Attachments

• 20240729_063915.jpg
    20240729_063915.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A lot of options:
A bit of white or clear contact paper would not be very visible.
For toughness on my kitchen cabinets, I used the Sherwin Williams Emerald enamel. It is pretty tough but takes a good 6 months to get hard.
Old school Rustolium enamel with extra hardener is pretty tough.
The new UV cured coatings.
Top it with clear epoxy
Self stick floor tiles

awldune

Sam
User
Thanks everyone for the ideas! I think that I will look into the very hard paint regardless of my approach to the window seat, because we need it for the door and window trim in multiple places in the house 🫤

It will probably be a little while until I get around to actually doing something, but I'll try to follow up.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS