Radial drill press

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsiler

New User
WILL
I have the opportunity to buy (courtesy of Santa) a radial drill press.....anyone have an opinion or comparison of Craftsman and Delta ?
Hope all had a wonderful Christmas and received many useful tools to either use or display !!!

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
I have the opportunity to buy (courtesy of Santa) a radial drill press.....anyone have an opinion or comparison of Craftsman and Delta ?
Hope all had a wonderful Christmas and received many useful tools to either use or display !!!

I can not give a comparison on the brands you mentioned-------mine is an off brand cheapy.

I would look at the capacities in height if it is a table top model, the table adjustment features and the mechanisms for locking everything in place to help in making the decision.

Good luck with your choice!!!

Jerry

T

toolferone

The first question I have is, is this your only drillpress? Most of the radial drillpress I see only have 5 speeds and not a very long quill travel. My .02 cents worth would be to get a regular drillpress as your first one and look at #of speeds, how slow it will go (better for big bits) and how long the quill travel is (longer is better). If this is a second drillpress then I would go with the less expensive one as you probably won't use it as much.

I have both a a floor model regular drillpress and a bench radial. I VERY rarely use the radial drillpress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
No opinion on either, but I do agree with the comments about how many speeds, quill travel, etc. They are all important to consider. Check the manuals out online on both of them and see how the specs compare.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I'll second the comments on the radial drill press. Quite a while ago, I had one and ended up replacing it with a 'regular' drill press. On the radial press, quill travel was limited, also there was a lot of chatter when boring holes. So unless you put a crow bar in your wallet and put out a bunch of money for a sturdy radial drill press, I'd go with a a regular one. I had the same experience as Tom: I hardly used it to the full swing, but used it 99% of the time as a regular drill.
As for brands: My latest purchase of Delta and Craftsman power tools were disappointing; I will not buy anything elase from either. I do believe that you will be better served with a Grizzly, General or -best of all- a Rong Fu.
...my $0.02
Have fun shopping!
Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS