QS Sycamore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm just curious to see it in the flesh. Does anyone have some 4/4-6/4 or 8/4 QS kiln dried sycamore that I could buy? Some pictures show it as white to almost a salmon pink.

I'd be interested in about 6-10 bf for starters (7-10"w is preferred). I don't have any particular project in mind, but would like to see this wood for consideration and play with it a bit.

I've been reading that anything less than QS sycamore is a no-no because of its nasty warping/cupping tendencies. Any experience out there? How about using it to make some glued up 3/4" panels (roughly 22" x 18")? :dontknow:

Comments, suggestions, recommendations? Other wood species that could be better suited? :icon_scra

DaveO

New User
DaveO
QS Sycamore is beautiful wood, I used a lot of it back when Jeff Mills milled up a bunch of it. I have two end tables that I made out of it. With Waterlox Original as a finish it has a nice light tan color with some lighter streaks, and the ray fleck really pops. QS Sycamore has to be almost perfect 90º to the face grain to get the good ray fleck. I have found it to be a little soft for a table top, as it has got impressions from my daughter doing her homework on top of it.
It works very well, with a slight tendency to burn on ripping.

End_tables_032.jpg

Dave:)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff here's a couple mash paddles I made out of QS Sycamore, the color in the pic is pretty accurate at least for this board.

Mash_Paddles.jpg

Even though I really like QS Sycamore, I think I may like QS Beech just as much if not a little more. Finding QS Sycamore should be pretty easy, Sycamore is usually the biggest trees in the woods.

bwat

New User
Bill
Yes, it is unique wood for sure. Bought some recently from Rick at the Woodworking Source in Mooresville.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
GS sycamore is a beautiful wood, ranging from white/ even to wild grain with flecking. Here are the undersides of few end tables I built:
zclips_slot.JPG

zclips_installed.JPG

The wood machines easily, although the flecked grain is prone to tearout. I wish I had my new planer (with carbide inserts) and/ or drum sander when I built them. No issues with cupping or warping. For the finish, I used a coat of (dewaxed) shellac to lightly bring out the grain, then topped with polycrylic. I deliberately stayed away from oil to avoid too much yellowing and preserve the pink. Definitely very unique.

Shot of the tables without finish. I used the wild grain for the top and the more even grain for the legs/ aprons.
stacked_unfinished.JPG

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks folk, all of the above is helpful information. It sure is a beautiful wood when QS properly. It must be highly cherished by our fellow NCWoodworkers because I've had 115 views of this thread and no one has offered to sell a splinter. :icon_scra

Does anyone have any experience with Talarico Hardwoods in Pennsylvania? They're supposed to specialize in QS wood, but they sure don't give their sycamore away!

http://www.talaricohardwoods.com/

4/4 5/4 8/4
up to 8" wide 8.00 8.30 8.95
8" - <12" 9.35 9.65 10.35

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, I appreciate it. :icon_cheers

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks folk, all of the above is helpful information. It sure is a beautiful wood when QS properly. It must be highly cherished by our fellow NCWoodworkers because I've had 115 views of this thread and no one has offered to sell a splinter. :icon_scra

Does anyone have any experience with Talarico Hardwoods in Pennsylvania? They're supposed to specialize in QS wood, but they sure don't give their sycamore away!

http://www.talaricohardwoods.com/

4/4 5/4 8/4
up to 8" wide 8.00 8.30 8.95
8" - <12" 9.35 9.65 10.35

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, I appreciate it. :icon_cheers

It's funny that all of Talarico's web site buttons on the left hand side, are QS Sycamore.

TedAS

Ted
Corporate Member
I used to live 5 miles from Talarico... They don't give anything away....... but they sure do have some purdy stuff!

If you are willing to pay their price I think they will take care of you.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm zeroing in on some QS Sycamore that's reasonably priced vs. Talarico Hardwoods in Pennsylvania. The Woodworking Source in Mooresville, NC offers it at $4/bf; 7'l x 5-10"w, 15/16" at S2S. They can also straight line rip or joint one edge.

In the process I found this link to another supplier in PA, but they don't give their pricing on line (call for current pricing). They list both 4/4 and 5/4 QS and rift sawn.

The right side of the Bailey site has an informative link to "the quartersawing process" which has a lot of useful information in general. I have a better understanding, but this is common knowledge to Jeff, Scott, and our other sawyers. :eek:ccasion1

http://www.baileywp.com/html/211.html

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff I really like that link - lots of good information contained within the pages. One of these days when I grow up and get a website behind millscustomsawing.com I would like it if it contained useful information like the bailey site does.

Thanks for the link

Hello Jeff,

Good that you enjoyed the link. I thought that many of us new woodmeisters, who are less knowledgable, could benefit from the info.

RE: Mills Custom Sawing. Do I detect a bit of nostalgia now that you've donated the mizer to your FIL? If you decide to do that then welcome back, and if you don't, that's okay too. We'll all miss your expertise nonetheless, but you can become our consultant. :icon_cheers

I saw your thread about your grandaughter. Very encouraging news there. Her therapist has worked some wonderful improvements. They're not easy to come by with impaired individuals, but each step is a positive one that we can only marvel at. God Bless to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS