Phone call last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got a call last night and part of the conversation was about my writing style vs. my face to face conversation.

I know I come off as a different person in print. I don't do it on purpose and I don't intend to belittle nor insult people. Apparently some people do feel that way about me. I am sorry if you see me that way.

It's no excuse but I feel I have to explain. I think in pictures, I see things in 3-dimensions and sometimes see things from several angles at once. I see inside and outside the box at the same time.

I don't think verbally, everything I write goes through a 3-d picture filter then back into words. If you sit and talk with me for very long you will notice I gaze off into the distance for periods of time. I am not ignoring you, I am translating your words into pictures that I can understand and trying to find the words to tell you what I am thinking. It is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because i understand certain things instantly and can visualize complex assemblages of information and structures. A curse because it is sometimes impossible to explain to other people.

So, if I come off as something you can't stand please PM or e-mail me for clarification. Maybe I can explain what i really mean or at least confirm that I don't mean anything bad by my words.

Really, all I want to do is help.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
This is a good post Mike. For what it is worth, both my sister and I associate colors with each letter A-Z and number 0-9. Our colors are not the same, but for whatever reason each individual symbol has its own color.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Mike,

This is frightening to me because I totally understand everything you say and write:eek: Plus, on 90% of the time I agree with you:gar-Bi

Does this mean we both need counseling?

Seriously, none of us always say what we mean the way we mean to say it. Few of us are willing to admit our mistakes, short comings and make amends. You are a top drawer guy in my book!

Barbara

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
same here Mike.:icon_thum My writing abilities are nil so don't feel offended because that is not my intent.:gar-Bi I know you think i said what i really meant but what i really meant was what i think i said.:rotflm:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think we are OK barbara, but Doug is just weird! :rotflm:

But, I have heard of that before, just goes to show that we all think differently.

My wife and girls all think verbally, they can say or type exactly what they are thinking and go on for hours. It is exhausting for me to listen to them because I have to work so hard to keep up.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Geeze Mike - I see nothing wrong with your writing style. Fact is we are created unique - we're not robots. we are living humans, as with everything that is living, it's unique in it's own way. That's what makes each and everyone of us interesting.

If were you, I would laugh and let this roll right off my shoulder. I wouldn't waste my time giving it another thought - there are more important things to worry about - no need for counseling :gar-La;.

MarkE

Administrator
Mark
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Richard M. Nixon

I think I'll change my signature line. :wsmile:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
mike i think you are a straight shooter and generally get to the point.

unfortunately people tend to be told how excrement smells in nicer terms than the reality of what it is.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My wife and girls all think verbally, they can say or type exactly what they are thinking and go on for hours. It is exhausting for me to listen to them because I have to work so hard to keep up.

Gee Mike, my daughter is just the opposite of yours. She can talk for hours and never say anything. :rotflm: The exhausting part is the same, however.

Bill

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Mike, I know you were joking, but are in fact correct. I am weird. What I experience is called synaesthesia. It is also known as cross-sensory perception. Mine is mild and only relates to color. However for some people when they see a number, for example, the number 32, they smell the smell of recently cut grass. Others hear music. :embaresse:dontknow:

RickC

New User
Rick
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Richard M. Nixon

I think I'll change my signature line. :wsmile:

I just followed your lead, and made this quote, that which is attached to my work emails! :gar-La;

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Mike, We have never met but I am looking forward to when we do. I have always enjoyed your posts/comments. There is no reason to explain yourself. I have often been accused of being a little "rough" around the edges, hard to work with, opinionated, etc., etc. But, I have always told it as I see it, not that I'm not always right. I don't like beating around the bush. I have never intentionally said or done anything to hurt someones feelings, but if I did, then I suggest they get over it. I worked for the same corporation for 33 years so I guess my "personality" hasn't hindered me too much.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
This is just a good reminder that we all have to be a little careful whenever we write or read a post. Everyone has different ways of thinking and expressing themselves. When it's in written form and you're missing other cues like body language, facial expression, tone of voice, inflection, etc it can be very easy to mis-interpret or take things the wrong way. It's always a good thing to assume that everyone has the best intentions in mind!

Travis

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been looking forward to meeting you Charlie. I want to see that spinning wheel and learn some turning tips from you. :icon_thum

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Mike, I know you were joking, but are in fact correct. I am weird. What I experience is called synaesthesia. It is also known as cross-sensory perception. Mine is mild and only relates to color. However for some people when they see a number, for example, the number 32, they smell the smell of recently cut grass. Others hear music. :embaresse:dontknow:

Hmmmm....... I just hear voices......:rotflm:

cskipper

Cathy
Mike, LOML thinks in 3D. I find it fascinating to watch the wheels turn. We think and explain things entirely differently, but often finish each others thouhgts (correctly too). I tend to do that more than he does and have to catch myself because I get ahead of him and sometimes it annoys him.

It is a good discussion - a lot of people forget that when we write an answer that the readers doesn't know how it would sound if we spoke it, can't hear the tone and phrasing they way we'd say the same thing and it leads to hurt feelings or at least confusion. I was still trying to learn to email "appropriately"- when I left work. As it is, I can spend an hour on a paragraph and then usually the topic has moved on and I delete the whole thing.

Doug, I have never heard of colors, hmmm.:dontknow:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Mike, my shop is always open to you or anyone that wishes to visit. Just let me know when. Since I am retired, I have no schedule.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mike, remember what Bess Truman said to a reporter after Harry replied to a dumb question with the term "horse manure." Immediately after the press conference, some reporters cornered Bess and asked if what Harry said bothered her. She replied "NO!" Then she said "You ought to hear what he used to say." Often times what we think doesn't match what we write. That is one of the reasons to preview post before sending it. What one person finds offensive isn't offensive to others. Remember there are two kinds of people, ones that are never happy, and those who are are always happy, no matter what. Always try to be in the second group. Oh yeah, PM me a postal address, and I will send you a couple of photos of my CHEAP version of the "One Way." Sorry I can't post it here, but one of the WW rags has it for evaluation right now. Bruce

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This is very interesting Mike. I usually tend to focus totally on what I'm saying and am normally pretty efficient at communicating exactly what I'm thinking. However, once in a while, when I'm in deep/abstract thought, I will stair off into the distance. The thing is, I'm not looking at what "I'm looking at", I'm imagining something else. Perhaps that is close to what you're talking about. :eusa_thin

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
However for some people when they see a number, for example, the number 32, they smell the smell of recently cut grass. Others hear music. :embaresse:dontknow:

That's interesting. Whenever I browse the forum, I hear voices. But I'm not crazy. At least, that's what the voices tell me.

BTW, what smells purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS